Ben Buckle " Southerner 60 "

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #19300 by 4Pedalsfly
Ben Buckle " Southerner 60 " was created by 4Pedalsfly
I've just acquired this kit off the B.M.F.A. website.
It is a vintage model, three pics attached, structure is ply and balsa
with the rib profiles etc dye printed onto the sheets, so much cutting out
to do.
Design will be modified for electric power.
Will get round to starting this when current projects are finished.

Colin.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 2 weeks ago #19302 by
Replied by on topic Ben Buckle " Southerner 60 "
Hi Colin,
I really like these old timer models and look forward to seeing this one in due course. I have been looking at the Ben Buckle kits, of which the Southerner 60 is one. I thought I might make one for easy 3 channel "steering around the sky" relaxation.
Good luck with the build. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.
Phil.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #19305 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Ben Buckle " Southerner 60 "
If anyone's interested in it, I have the wings, tail and plans for a Flair Black Magic. I was going to rebuild it, but I've too many other things to sort out. If you'd like the parts and plan, I'll bring them to Club night.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by Brian.

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #19311 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Ben Buckle " Southerner 60 "

Brian wrote: If anyone's interested in it, I have the wings, tail and plans for a Flair Black Magic. I was going to rebuild it, but I've too many other things to sort out. If you'd like the parts and plan, I'll bring them to Club night.

Brian - We need the story behind the "rebuild", was it perchance related to flying on a field that someone had planted a set of goalposts on ?
Colin.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #19313 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Ben Buckle " Southerner 60 "
Not goal posts Colin, the culprit was a large tree. You know the type, they have tiny magnets at the ends of the branches. The Black Magic got tangled up with the tree,it was on the edge of Avon Field, just outside Bournemouth Airport. I was quite new to r/c flying and crashing at the time. The model dropped from its original position to a lower branch, it was just out of reach. Finally a gust caused the model to be released and it fell awkwardly onto a gravel path. The fuselage broke into three pieces, but for some reason, the wings and tail were undamaged.If anyone does want the bits, be aware that the Flair plan of Fred Hempsall's original design is incorrect. I have a copy of the original plan published in 1948, that will explain everything.
I make no excuse for allowing the Black Magic to become entangled in the tree, even though I was effectively flying one handed. My right arm was strapped securely as I was recovering from some serious surgery on my shoulder. In fact I shouldn't have been flying at all. Unfortunately the enthusiasm I had then has sadly gone. Most of my flying is now in an armchair, reading either RCM+E, or the exploits of Club members on the Club website.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds