No Name Plane

More
4 years 8 months ago #20490 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic No Name Plane
It is quite useful to have fin/rudder in the prop wash, not applicable to gliders of course!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 8 months ago #20491 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic No Name Plane

DavidTappin wrote: It is quite useful to have fin/rudder in the prop wash, not applicable to gliders of course!

Yes it is David. ;) But the thing is a delta wing (see earlier photos) and a pusher which may cause the fin to be chewed up. :lol:

More
4 years 8 months ago #20494 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic No Name Plane

Phil Ford wrote:

4Pedalsfly wrote: Looking good Phil - I am surprised you've made the fuselage detachable but no doubt
that's part of a cunning plan. At the moment I see no vertical fins, still to come

Cunning plan? Wing is EPP so bouncable (is that a real word?) but fuselage can be replaced/repaired. Fins? Not sure whether to go with the standard wing tips or fit them inboard a little. i am sure someone told me that the ideal position for fins for yaw stability is back as far as you can get them or it will "wiggle" ungainly.

Phil - The fins are set inboard a little on my Hacker HotWing & it's really stable - pic attached.
Worth trying both wing tips & slightly inboard to see which gives the best result.

Colin.
Attachments:

More
4 years 8 months ago #20496 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic No Name Plane
Phil suggested that I "see earlier photos”

I did and the little hole in the front of the fuz suggested to me that it was waiting to be filled with a prop shaft. Maybe it's for a camera.

David

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 8 months ago #20497 by Phil Ford
Quite right David, the hole is for a camera. ;)
Today the SK3 1250kv motor turned up from the EU warehouse - 8 days! And again the 3 hole prop adaptor's holes don't line up with the motor body. :angry: This has come up numerous times on HK reviews. It's a shame that the decent motor SK3 is let down by shoddy quality control. I had a couple of spare adaptors and they too were bad. So, as a last resort I had go at redrilling the fixing holes very slightly bigger, 0.5 mm. The adaptor centers on the motor fine by the way. Well, it worked and the adaptor is now screwed on.:cheer:

Now I can start planning where to put the electronics and battery position to get a CG.:)

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 8 months ago #20504 by Phil Ford
I have studied numerous flying styles from full size to RC foamies. I think that the fins can be well inboard but their trailing edges do need to be just aft of the prop.
In my photo there are already slots by HK to take inboard fins so I will utilise these as a starting point. I will make the fins up from balsa with obechi blocks in their bases so they can screwed down from the underside. I am going to use some hard balsa pre-profiled ailerons (ex Kevin's Phase 5) and possibly hinge them using Robart pin hinges.

Well, that's the plan at present.

On the electronics side I have ran out of 0.1 female crimp pins and three hole plugs.:( Now on order from the Robot Shop
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.388 seconds