Technical Query / help.

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #23740 by kevinross
Technical Query / help. was created by kevinross
Although the subject relates to my Stearman build i'm looking for advise / comments from anybody who might know about the reliability of solid wire pull pull control for two reasons
1. Scale appearance - Ive seen so many nice scale models let down by crude stranded wire crimps
2. Practicality because there is limited space between the rudder horn and the cable entry for traditional crimped terminations.

The attached pics show a trial installation using 26swg piano wire which is silver brazed to the brass end fittings. The fittings have been centre drilled and the wire is sunk in by approx 10mm. Any practical comments welcomed.

Regards
Kevin
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 4 months ago #23741 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Technical Query / help.
An elegant solution Kevin, I’m having similar thoughts for the re-rigging of my ex-Stuart McKechnie Sopwith Pup, but the thought of all that 1/2mm diameter wire twanging about when the model is dis-assembled compared with the flexibility of stranded cable is rather off putting. As is the thought of the expense - £7 for a 2 metre length of that stainless steel wire!

Could come in handy during the preparation of my lunchtime at Cashmoor cheese sandwiches though!

Regards,

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

More
3 years 4 months ago #23742 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Technical Query / help.
Solid wire may just do the job but if it was me I would also be thinking, mechanically both pulls would have to be perfect to avoid strain on one or the other, whereas wire could give a bit of leeway. Just my tuppence worth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevinross

More
3 years 4 months ago #23743 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Technical Query / help.
I have snakes with internal piano wire rods in the Curare, I've never much liked plastic snakes, but these seem to work really well in comparison. So I don't see why yours shouldn't work well also, but your geometry will need to be near perfect as Phil has said.

I think you will probably need intermediate support though to stop them whipping around with the vibration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 4 months ago #23744 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Technical Query / help.
thanks for that Jon - Yes it quickly became apparent that mid way support would be needed.so thats underway.plus i will need to fix some snake outers from that point to to the exits to enable threading the rods thru at final assembly
Attachments:

More
3 years 4 months ago #23745 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Technical Query / help.
At least you won't have to install 6 snake guides like I had to in the Hype. ;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.364 seconds