Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6465 by
I had got my heart set on making an Aurora, but the design might require quite a bit of modification to conveniently electrify it, which would add to the complexity and as this will be my first build I decided a more straight forward design would be a more sensible choice.

The Blue Angel looks wonderful, but we’ve already got one of them, so what about the model that won the World Champion in 1975, Wolfgang Matt’s Atlas. I’ve not attempted anything like this, so there is likely to be a lot of fumbling in the dark and me asking lots of questions of you all. Oh and it'll probably take me ages to build!

Plan: www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=551
Article: ukcaa.org.uk/Articles/Atlas_RCME-Jun1976.pdf

Initially I felt it lacked the graceful lines of the Blue Angel, particularly around the tail, but after looking at the plans & photos, as well as reading the RCME article it has grown on me and fancy giving it a go. Although I’ll not be going down the oily 2 stroke road, but instead I’ll go with an electric motor.

I’ve mentioned to a couple of people that I was thinking of building an old school pattern plane and I know there has been a lot of admiration of Mike’s Blue Angel, so I am curious if anyone else is interested in building the Atlas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #6467 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Quote "Oh and it'll probably take me ages to build!" End Quote

Don't worry Chris, you would have to go some to beat Dave B.... :evil:

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #6472 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Hi Chris

Arrow would be a great choice, it comes from the same period as the Curare. At the time Wolfgang Matt and Hanno Prettner the 2 designers/ pilots were the top men in F3a.

By the way, Wolfgang retired from F3a at this years Euro Champs having flown at every World and Euro Champs since the late 60's :ohmy:

Electric would be a good choice as the original had a rear exhaust engine and internal tuned pipe, a tricky build and recipe for blown exhaust couplers!

Check out this very recent build thread

look forward to your build thread :)

www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=99791

Edit: Just realised I have my Wolfgang designs mixed up, you said Atlas, my brain read Arrow! Therefore ignore most of my comments above :lol:

However the Arrow would still be a great project as well!!
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by JonTappin.

More
8 years 6 months ago #6478 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

JonTappin wrote: ignore most of my comments above

That should be your forum signature..... :silly:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6480 by
Hi Jon,

I looked hard at the Arrow it's got a few things gong for it, like the removable pipe enclosure, this would be great for battery access, it's also a slightly later design with a different wing profile. It is however a more complex build, having both flaps and spoilers. But the main thing that went against it for me, is that I just think the fuselage looks all wrong with that pipe enclosure... it looks... Russian ;) as in bolted on with little regard to aesthetics. (I'm sure I'm doing the plane and Wolfgang Matt a huge disservice with that comment)

From the small pics I've been able to find I think the Granat looks like a more aesthetically pleasing design, which was his next plane.

If I enjoy the build and like the way it flies, I doubt this will be my last plane of this type, I've already got a few on the list!

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #6486 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Go for the Atlas Chris, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Never heard of the Granat, not one of his well known designs, maybe it was rubbish!
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by JonTappin.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.557 seconds