Pepsi Chipmunk Build

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #7830 by flyingpete
Pepsi Chipmunk Build was created by flyingpete
Had a few spare hours and needed a balsa fix so i have made a start on the fuselage. Originally this model was kitted by apache aviation but it has now been taken over by slec. I built the original kit a few years back and the quality of the balsa and ply left a lot to be desired so i replaced most of the birch ply for lite ply as the model was very over designed. The model also had a reputation for comming out very heavy so i put lightening hole's where i could and i managed to save quite a bit of weight and the model flew very nicely.
This slec version of the chipmunk is router cut and the thick balsa parts are lazer cut, the wood and lite ply are of very good quality as you wold expect as slec are a good company to source balsa and ply etc.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by flyingpete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 3 months ago #7831 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
Few more

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 3 months ago #7832 by flyingpete
The fuselage is now ready for the 3/32 sheeting to the front and back turtle decks which will be wet rolled and glued with gorilla glue. Once dry the fuselage will be given the treatment with my razor plane and sanded! Job done

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #9621 by flyingpete
Ok peeps it's time to get the chippy finished. Im going to get the wings and tailplane built so i can trial fit them to the fuz to check alignment.
Might be a good time to mention that this is a router
Cut kit. Although very accurate the biggest problem is all the corners are round so you have to clean up all the parts so you have nice crisp corners ready for use. The more accurate kit cutting is done by lazer which can cut very crisp corners, but it leaves scorch marks on the edges which need to be sanded before you can start gluing.It's swings and roundabouts but i personally go for lazer cut kit.
Anyway so today i will release all the parts from the tabs clean them up and will start gluing tomoz with some pictures B)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by flyingpete. Reason: Text

More
7 years 8 months ago #9622 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Pepsi Chipmunk Build
Looking forward to the photos Pete. ;)

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 8 months ago #9624 by flyingpete
Seem to be a day behind.Covered the plan in plastic and we a ready to go.All the ribs are glued to a full length lite ply shear web.Next the 1/4 x1/2 hardwood main spar is tacked in place the the remaining rear balsa spars are added.Turn the wing over and do the same and add false leading edge.Turn wing back over and and pin to the board making sure all the rib tabs are flat on the board,once I'm happy I flood all the joints with med cyano.
The 1/4 ply u/c rib doublers glued in place with titebond clamped and left to bond for 30 mins.
Removed the clamps and glued the 3 piece u/c mounts in place with titebond and left to dry.Do the same for the other wing panel.
While they are left to dry I will glue up the 3/32 wing sheet panels and fit them later.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds