Wing Incidences?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 1 month ago #12040 by Phil Ford
Wing Incidences? was created by Phil Ford
Decided to look into wing incidence to reduce the amount of elevator down trim required on Pepsi. The plans show no figure in degrees so assume it was not needed as the wing saddle is preset by design. My wing did not sit in well so I had to fiddle a little at the rear end to get the trailing edge to drop in. I am wondering if I have created some negative incidence which will tilt the tail down making the plane tending to climb?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12041 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Wing Incidences?
Hi Phil

Only just catching up with forum posts. Hopefully you haven't changed the thrust line as you suggested on your other thread, as I noticed no trim change with changes in power settings on the test flight.

If you want to remove the down trim you will need to reduce the wing incidence. You have too much positive incidence not negative as you say above. If you lower the leading edge by a few mm you will get rid of it. However it probably won't effect the flying characteristics so you could just live with it.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12042 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Wing Incidences?
Glad you jumped in now Jon. :) I decided on not playing with thrust line as you never brought the subject up whilst flying it. So, I thought I would put the plane on level ground and spirit level the cockpit floor which is parallel to centre line (according to plans). I then placed a straight edge along the chord line and laid the same level on it. The bubble showed that the wing chord is pointing down at the front. I then backed off the wing bolts gradually and managed to get the wing sitting nearly level.

But from your comment I seem to be going the wrong way. :unsure: :(
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12043 by JonTappin
If you think about it Phil, the model needs down elevator trim to fly level, the down trim will raise the tail which effectively reduces the wing incidence, therefore you have too much incidence, reducing it will then reduce the down trim .

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #12045 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Wing Incidences?
Sorry Jon, I am losing it just lately, so much going on. Yes, of course your right. You have put in 13 clicks of up elevator on the TX.

I think I may have confused the issue because up elevator is down on the TX screen - what a dumb ass! :lol: Time to go to the S of S category!

Edit: Just had another look at it. Isn't that bad really, elevator is not up much in reality. ;)

Lessons in Aeronautical Engineering is all gained knowledge.

However, ailerons are the next subject...... ;)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 1 month ago #12047 by JonTappin
Up elevator trim makes more sense!

Next time you take the model out, bring some 16th balsa sheet then add a piece at a time between the trailing edge and wing seat and test fly, after a bit of trial and error, you will then be able to remove the trim. Once you know how much packing is required then fix it permanently and reform the wing seat to suit.

Aileron trim is either a heavy wing or a warp, check first that the ailerons or flaps aren't twisted, then check the incidence at each wing tip to make sure they are the same. This will confirm if this is your problem.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds