Wing Incidences?

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #12049 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Wing Incidences?

JonTappin wrote: Up elevator trim makes more sense!

:lol: :lol: To everyone else!

Packing will do next time.

I suppose even having the flaps slightly out would have an effect on ailerons. I will recheck these with the stick method you suggested some time ago when aligning independent control surfaces. What would be the best method of checking the wing incidences at the tips?

I have spare channels so could give each aileron it's own trim, that might help?
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #12051 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Wing Incidences?
Hi Phil, one of these might help. Combined with a cheap digital "spirit" level (mobile 'phone app) should show what's happening from root to tip.
www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=106477
Nothing to do with your current problem, but have you noticed how much down elevator trim a Spitfire has in level flight?
Good luck with the aerodynamics biz. I don't believe in the formula approach, its all magic! Wouldn't work otherwise.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #12053 by Phil Ford
Thanks Brian for the link. I have got a bit of Depron so may make my own "cheapskate" version using a similar principle.

Funny how the longer you are into this flying malarky, the more picky and technophobe you become. No longer satisfied that it just flies and to hell with it. :lol: Or is it just me?

More
7 years 2 months ago #12058 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Wing Incidences?
Phil - Good looking model, all that hard has work paid off.
Picking up on a couple of points :
Up elevator trim - could this be a symptom of the model being slightly nose heavy. ?
When checking out the C of G I roll the model inverted, I like just a tiny touch of down
elevator to maintain level flight. This is a my preference other flyers will have theirs.

Ailerons & Flaps - If you have enough channels it is well worth having a separate channel
for each ail & flap.

Slightly off message - lovely header pic on the web home page - we are in the U.K and have Petrol engines
not Gas engines, you need to live in Trumpland for that.

Colin.A

More
7 years 2 months ago #12060 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Wing Incidences?
Hi Colin

You are of course correct regarding the cg effect on trim, but in this case the cg was pretty close to optimum, it was possibly a touch nose heavy with a very benign stall, but didn't require much elevator inverted and also had surprisingly little rudder couple in pitch and roll. So I'm pretty confident it is an incidence issue rather than cg.

100% Agree with your gas comment though, we don't fill our cars with gas do we? Another Americanism finding its way into our language. Perhaps this is just us showing our age though! ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, DavidTappin

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #12061 by Phil Ford

JonTappin wrote: Hi Colin - 100% Agree with your gas comment though, we don't fill our cars with gas do we? Another Americanism finding its way into our language. Perhaps this is just us showing our age though! ;)

Well, I was only reading the text off the OS engine carton and I am sure it said gas (gasoline, liquified gas) and not petrol. :lol: I agree to Americanisms. Like, OMG and our TV live audiences now do that squealing, howling sound, mainly girls on these "talent" shows. All previously not known except in the US. So annoying to me anyway.

Back on subject: To be truthful after comparing Pennzoil which also has a slight up elevator (has 6 clicks of UP) and both Chipmunks fly well I was maybe being over picky at 5 clicks of UP. However, it would be nice to reduced clicks if possible. Ailerons definitely need sorting for my peace of mind. I have not flown Pepsi yet but if it flies to me like Pennzoil then happy days. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds