Electronic Repair

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 7 months ago #13739 by
Replied by on topic Electronic Repair

PhilF51 wrote: If it is wide enough drill a very small hole and then follow my suggestion previously about a post.

You should not drill a modern PCB Phil - If it is multilayer, there could be some tracks on an inner layer that could be damaged.
The burnt component could have been a low value resistor for protection if ground lines are cross coupled. There appears to be a track running from the 6 black wires/pins to what looks like a ground plane, (the very large area of copper). I would suggest bridging the burnt component with a 100R resistor and see what happens.

Ron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #13749 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Electronic Repair
Ron, I made the assumption that the board was single sided hence my suggestion. The area where the burned circuit board is will be common gnd. (negative). Not having the board in my hand we can only make assumptions but I have had success making a new connection by making a post or use self adhesive track, solder bridged to the old track. (after scraping off the varnish of course)

Next questions are: Is it worth the effort? Simpler to buy another charger? Someone with access to electronic components/repair may be able to fix it but by when?
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.

• 4Pedalsfly
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #13766 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Electronic Repair
Phil - The Touch Screen Charger was at the time HK's top of their range charger and in my nievety thought
It would be a simple repair for an electronics bod.
How wrong I was but it generated some interesting comments, a new charger has been purchased, but the key
to the repair is obtaining a circuit diagram.
The chances of getting that out of HK are about the same as pigs flying .
Colin

More
6 years 7 months ago #13769 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Electronic Repair
Hi Colin, don't give up yet! The "vapourised" component on the charger's circuit board was polarised, so it couldn't have been a resistor, these work " both ways". It might have been a diode, these are polarised, but I can't think why a diode would be overloaded. That leaves the possibility that the component was a capacitor. Maplins do a pretty good range of SMT capacitors. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue how you go about finding the right one. Apart from getting a handful and trying each one until you get a result./

More
6 years 7 months ago #13770 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Electronic Repair
Colin, your best bet for identifying the value of the vaporised cap would be to find some who has the same charger and read the value off theirs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.269 seconds