"Running In" new LiPO and "Puffing"

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 weeks ago #16262 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic "Running In" new LiPO and "Puffing"
Thank you all for your help. I did find the number of conflicting opinions on LiPOs in general was confusing. Its only now that I realise that I could have gone flying with my new batteries, instead of wasting time on the charge/discharge all morning. On a different note, it is frequently stated that LiPOs must be stored with a fairly specific voltage of 3.8V/cell. Not long ago I bought three used Lipos, checked them out and made sure of the 3.8V/cell on all three. Now I'm going to ask a silly question. What is a "puffed" battery? I noticed that when I bought the batteries, they weren't quite flat on two sides, now they are definitely not flat on two sides. Are they OK to use? Does "puffing" mean all four sides of the battery?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #16263 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic "Running In" new LiPO and "Puffing"
That battery is beginning to puff but will still work fine. However, you will have to make a decision to retire it one day.

Regarding storage, I just leave them in whatever state they are at the end of a flying session since I don't have the time or inclination to leave them at storage charge. I'm sure they would last a bit longer if I did, but they seem to do fine the way I leave them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 4 weeks ago #16264 by John Bannister
Replied by John Bannister on topic "Running In" new LiPO and "Puffing"
Just fly and have fun most EFC's will cut power to motor before the bec so worst that can happen is a dead stick landing, but you should notice lack of power long before that.
Batteries nearing the end of there life usually take longer to charge, if in doubt check cell voltage and resistance before and after charge this will give you a good indication of battery state all cells should be approximately the same.and cut your flight times.
You've got Taranis so fit a voltage sensor and scare yourself with the readings and you will probably throw all your batteries away.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not on Mikes recommended list
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 weeks ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #16265 by
I always leave my batteries at storage voltage.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm on Mike's recommended list only by virtue of the name I was given by my parents.

But I'm not sure why Chris is on Mike's list, electric and Chris are not good bed fellows ;)
Last edit: 6 years 4 weeks ago by .

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds