Propeller size to get the maximum output from the Lipos I have

• ruggerbloke
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #23575 by ruggerbloke
Hi all. looking for some advice please. I have an electric motor capable of 900+ watts. With a 13 x 6.5 prop and a 4s Lipo. I am getting about 650 watts output. Amp rating as about 45A on an 80A speed controller, so well within limits. Without having to buy 5s, s6,7s lipos can I achieve more watts/power by using a larger prop? If so, what would you recommend? All help much appreciated.

p.s. My Extra foamee met it's demise on Monday after trying to be too clever!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 5 months ago #23578 by MikeSeale
Its not just about getting more power out of the motor...you also have to match this to the airframe.
For example, you could bolt a (balanced) wooden spoon the the front and have your motor draw 800 watts, but that's no use at all!
Back to reality, if you want your model to fly faster you need more pitch. If you want it to have more thrust (better verticals) you need more diameter. You might need to try a few props to find the one that suits your airframe the best.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23592 by Phil Ford

Denis Murphy wrote: p.s. My Extra foamee met it's demise on Monday after trying to be too clever!!

Strange! John B was spotted it flying today, Friday....:lol:

Denis, what is the KV of your motor? That will help with looking for the size/pitch range of props.
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

• ruggerbloke
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #23594 by ruggerbloke
Thanks for your input Mike. I've not yet flown the model, just tested with a watt meter. I'll probably have to try a few props as you say (if the model lasts long enough!).

The specs of the motor Phil are 980 watts 800KV. The recommended prop sizes are: Minimum Propeller Size 13 x 10 (with 7S LiPo)
Maximum Propeller Size 15 x 8 (with 3S LiPo). I'm using a 4S lipo so maybe something around 14 x 8?

• ruggerbloke
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 5 months ago #23595 by ruggerbloke
I smacked the Extra foamee earlier in the week and gave it to John B as I have enough models in my garage. It was repairable and John was able to fly it so all good.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #23596 by Phil Ford

Denis Murphy wrote: The specs of the motor Phil are 980 watts 800KV. The recommended prop sizes are: Minimum Propeller Size 13 x 10 (with 7S LiPo)
Maximum Propeller Size 15 x 8 (with 3S LiPo). I'm using a 4S lipo so maybe something around 14 x 8?

You don't say what size motor you have but I assume it maybe around armature size 35mm to 42 mm for that KV? 4 cells on 14 x 8 a good start. you can always try another pitch too. As Mike said it depends on the type of aircraft, thrust versus top speed and something in between. Don't rely on all maker specs, they do tend to overrate their motors. Anyway if something requires "7 cells" then to me it means pick the next size motor up for 6 cells in my humble opinion. ;)

Example: Overlander Thumper T4250 7T KV 710. 700 watts. 3-4 cells 12 -14 prop
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds