Propeller size to get the maximum output from the Lipos I have

More
3 years 6 months ago #23598 by MikeSeale

Phillip Ford wrote: Don't rely on all maker specs, they do tend to overrate their motors.

I've been an electric motor (and speed controller) abuser for over 30 years now and would say that most manufacturers UNDER rate their motors. They play safe so that they can walk away from warrantee claims. HobbyKing certainly under rate all of their motors. For example the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 5045/660kv is rated as a 4-5 cell motor, 60A max and 1410W. I use this motor in my Atlas on 6 cells at over 80A and over 1900W

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #23600 by Phil Ford

Mike Seale wrote:

Phillip Ford wrote: Don't rely on all maker specs, they do tend to overrate their motors.

For example the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 5045/660kv is rated as a 4-5 cell motor, 60A max and 1410W. I use this motor in my Atlas on 6 cells at over 80A and over 1900W

I will agree to that Mike. My Curare, PC21, and long ago Angel , and recently a crashed Wing (got one SK3 5045 spare now) all used the above. ;) Although when I said "overrate" I meant that generally. After all SK3s are a least half the price of an equivalent Hacker, etc so you get what you pay for in some respect but SK3 did up the game compared to Turnigy. I don't know what I would have done without SK3s. Maybe stuck with glow! :lol:

Simon O put a 5045 500Kv in a 30e size recently. :whistle:
Last edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
3 years 6 months ago #23601 by

More
3 years 6 months ago #23602 by Phil Ford

Simon Osborne wrote: It flies ok!

An understatement. ;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds