Grub screw removal

• ruggerbloke
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #23891 by ruggerbloke
Grub screw removal was created by ruggerbloke
My Torque 2814 motor had a coming together with the ground. When I unscrewed the four screws holding on the Prop driver/shaft, one of the screws sheared. Another one had the hex head worn into a circle. To get the shaft off I had to cut it off with a dremel. No problem. I thought I'd use a collet type shaft instead. My problem now is that the two grub screws holding the shaft in place have also got rounded heads and all attempts to remove them using hex wrenches have failed. What is the best way of doing this? I think with my drill I am likely to knacker the whole thing. Advice appreciated. Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #23892 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Grub screw removal
Hi Dennis

Is this your motor ?

I see two approaches

1 - Try to drill out the screw but this would need high quality drill (cobalt or equivalent). Then use an easy out (screw extractor) The secret of drilling hard steel is slow speed, coolant and pressure so access to a pillar drill would be a great help.

2. - Last resort would be to hack saw at 90deg to the collar to create a slot in the screw. If this is successful try to drill a replacement new hole and tapping to the correct size.

If you are successful you need to strip the motor to remove any swarf.
Attachments:

• ruggerbloke
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #23893 by ruggerbloke
Replied by ruggerbloke on topic Grub screw removal
Hi Kevin, thanks for your advice. Yes, that's the motor. I am thinking now of trying to get a new Bolt on prop adapter for the motor. I just hope the shaft is not bent! If it is I'll try the method you suggested. Cheers

More
3 years 3 months ago #23894 by joneb
Replied by joneb on topic Grub screw removal
Denis problem with the grub screws is that they were locktighted in you need to get a small blowtorch just to warm up the end of the motor not to much or you will damage the bearing and motor windings and you will find the grubscrews will come out easily.

• ruggerbloke
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #23895 by ruggerbloke
Replied by ruggerbloke on topic Grub screw removal
Thanks John for the info. Yes they were locktited in. The problem is that the hex head is now more like a circle so the hex driver has no grip.

More
3 years 3 months ago #23896 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Grub screw removal
Hi Dennis
John B's heat advise is good . I had thought about suggesting that and no offence but I don't know your capabilities and a blow torch in the wrong hands could spell disaster so I will add that if you have some scrap sheet metal you could drill out to clear the red boss , that would protect the motor and get the heat to the right place
I've since thought of another tip I've used before
Take a larger size Allen key and cut off the bend . Then grind small tapers on each of the six flats so you can tap it into the damaged screw socket then twist with mole grips or similar

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.290 seconds