The Thingy

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #6246 by
The Thingy was created by
Hi guys,

I flew my home brew foam board wing at Cashmore on sunday, a number of people were asking about it. So i spent the day getting my head around cad and drawing up the model so anybody can make it.

I have made the design public but you need to sign up to onshape to view/download I would prefer you did that so that if/when I change the design people will automatically download the latest version rather than having to update the files in multiple locations.

The cad files also include a 3D printable motor mount does anybody in the club own one?

all the information is here:

docs.google.com/document/d/1HMuf1KFhNXNU...2jE/edit?usp=sharing

thanks!

Ade
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #6247 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic The Thingy
We were chewing the cud over it on Sunday, Adrian. I think personally I would scale it up to 48 inch wingspan. But for those who missed the action on Sunday, it really is simple, nimble and costs next to nothing to get airborne. Highly aerobatic. The wonders of Depron. ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #6249 by
Replied by on topic The Thingy
excellent, good to put a username to a face :)

48 sounds cool, i think it would need different construction tho, i dont think the single sheet with doublers would take the load especially with the bigger power system it would need.

More
8 years 7 months ago #6260 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic The Thingy

PhilF51 wrote: I think personally I would scale it up to 48 inch wingspan. But for those who missed the action on Sunday, it really is simple, nimble and costs next to nothing to get airborne. Highly aerobatic. The wonders of Depron. ;)

Ade let me have a flight at the end of the day and there really is no need to make it bigger. In fact, one of the advantages at this size is that it is strong enough without carbon. If you go bigger you have to think about spars and before you know it you've created something heavier that doesn't fly so well.

BTW, Ade. I assumed it was a ThingE, not a Thingy.
Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 7 months ago #6262 by
nice to see another blackadder fan :-)

I hadnt thought of the E to be honest. throw back from the days of E vers nitro versions :-)

I called it a Thingy because its quite similar to the SAS thing/wildthing but its not quite the same so hence the y on the end :-)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #6348 by
have removed suggested motor from the document, seems its a bit low on the kv.

im running a 3000kv motor of unknown origin in mine with a 4.75x4.75 but its a bit thirsty. I figured a ecalc figures suggested that a 2200 kv motor with a 5x5 should give similar performance but be more efficient.

reality is that its a big chunk slower.

maybe a 2600-2800kv motor with a 5x5 would be better?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds