Lipo Charging Fire

More
7 years 10 months ago #9076 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Your description of the damage did not prepare me for the photos and very sorry you experienced this. If you imagine how many Lipo's charges occur each year by UK modellers, your experience is probably one in a million but it shows that charging near combustable material has to be avoided. Its easy to understand how complete garages and houses could be destroyed.
PS - some people suggest that if you charge in an ammo box - it should be vented in such a way to disperse the explosive effects in a safe direction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #9077 by
Replied by on topic Lipo Charging Fire
So what are the chances of two people at our club having a similar incident a week apart? Luckily the other one was outside on a patio, not in a shed or house.

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 10 months ago #9078 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Not you as well Chris?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #9079 by
Replied by on topic Lipo Charging Fire
No not me, Phil and Andy had a shot a bit of video of a LiPo on fire and smoking like crazy on their patio, I was shown the video on the Saturday when we had the council guys up, and I think it was a battery they were charging in readiness for that day. It prompted me to start looking at how I charge and store my batteries, but like an idiot it took your unfortunate incident to actually get me to pull my finger out and do something.

More
7 years 10 months ago #9081 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Lipo Charging Fire
Just seen your post Jon! Sooooooo sorry to see the damage done by the fire.
Iv seen the damage done by a lipo fire first hand before,as a few years back a mate of mine lost his double garage,two cars and 28 models!

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 10 months ago #9082 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Lipo Charging Fire
I've heard several similar stories before and since my incident, it is easy to think it will never happen to you, I now know differently :(

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds