Tricky choke location

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #13343 by JRI
Tricky choke location was created by JRI
Here we have the inside of my MiG.3 showing the choke lever on the Tillotson on my 3W 55. The trouble is, I cannot for the life of me come up with a sensible mode of operation for the choke. The lever is exactly in line with the mounting plate for the fuel tank and the elevator, rudder, and throttle servos. The lever acts fore and aft through 90 degrees and there is no scope for taking a pushrod through the fuselage sides as the cowl slides over the fus'. I cannot get a servo in close enough to couple with the arm and any longer fore-aft operating rod will clash with the top of the servo plate or fuel tank. I cannot extend the choke operating lever as I cannot then fit the carburetor over the studs because the lever won't go over the tank mounting plate. Help!!!

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by JRI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #13344 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Tricky choke location
Hard to tell from those photos but can you go forward and down with a manual rod exiting underneath next to the head?

Be good to see the Mig in the air, it's been a long time coming!

More
6 years 9 months ago #13345 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Tricky choke location
Looking again I realised the choke arm is at the top of the carb so you won't be able to exit by the head, but can you go forward to somewhere behind the prop?

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 9 months ago #13346 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Tricky choke location

JonTappin wrote: Looking again I realised the choke arm is at the top of the carb so you won't be able to exit by the head, but can you go forward to somewhere behind the prop?

The spinner for this model is an enormous 7" aluminium jobby. I would have to put a lot of bends in a pushrod to try and get it to exit from a machine gun port in the top of the fus'. I am not sure then that I would have enough puchase to operate the choke without the rod bending. But thanks for the suggestion - keep them coming

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #13347 by
Replied by on topic Tricky choke location
As Jon states, it is difficult to tell from the pics, but, could you use a mini/ micro servo, operating thro' a bell-crank.

Stuart

More
6 years 9 months ago #13348 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Tricky choke location
Possibly use a rod and guide, the rod exiting the side of the fuselage similar to those switch mount efforts. (I am assuming it is forward of the wing position) The rod and knob on the end is only sticking out when the choke is pulled. In normal operation it would hardly be noticeable. Maybe those who don't know would assume it was an electrical switch instead of a crummy idea of a choke mechanism.....;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds