Provost - Part 2

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #15215 by kevinross
Provost - Part 2 was created by kevinross
Its taken nearly two years to completely dispose of Franks Engineering Workshop and modelling items except the Provost project which after considerable deliberation, I have decided to finish.
The airframe build is complete, thanks to the great work by Flying Pete but all the hardware needs constructing / completion. ie U/C, Cowl & Canopy. Frank had planned to make the latter true scale and sliding.
My starting point is the Tailwheel and because no suitable commercial product exists so am scratch building. While it would be very difficult to manufacture in true scale, i am making an effort to emulate the full size.
Attached is a pic of the full-size and what I've made so far. I still have to design and make the suspension strut. The material is essentially stainless and alloy for the block on

which I lost count at 60 ish separate machining actions.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright, Phil Ford, flyingpete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15216 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Provost - Part 2
Looks great so far Kevin, lovely bit of work.

It'll be really good to see the Provost finished.

More
6 years 4 months ago #15217 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Provost - Part 2
Kevin - So pleased to read you are going to finish Frank's "Provost" - great that it will stay within the club.
Look forward to following your progress.
Best Wishes for 2018.
Colin

More
6 years 4 months ago #15218 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Provost - Part 2
Nice work Kevin, Frank would have loved that, though it looks as if you could do with a 3D printer. What happened with the one I remember seeing in Frank's office?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 4 months ago #15219 by
Replied by on topic Provost - Part 2
Great work Kevin,

I wouldn't have the first idea how you go about machining something like that, but I can appreciate the skill involved, I wish you'd done a time-lapse video of all the different processes involved.

• kevinross
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 4 months ago #15220 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Provost - Part 2

DavidTappin wrote: Nice work Kevin, Frank would have loved that, though it looks as if you could do with a 3D printer. What happened with the one I remember seeing in Frank's office?

David - have to admit as i progress this project, i can't ignore that sneaky "oversight" feeling from the master.

BTW, 3-D printers and CNC machines are for sissies - give me hard core manual - The printer went to Ron in the club who fixed it and has already done a project for Phil Ford

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds