DLE 55 Sheared Prop Bolts

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #17179 by Phil Ford
DLE 55 Sheared Prop Bolts was created by Phil Ford
Started up the engine for the first in ages with new prop fitted last time out. After starting I noticed the spinner was "wobbling". Removed it to find two out of four bolts have sheared flush with the drive hub. I need to get these devils out and no, I don't have small stud extractors. Options?

Will replace all bolts with "genuine" hi-tensile bolts next time round. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #17180 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic DLE 55 Sheared Prop Bolts
I have some extractors `Phil, don't know if they are small enough, what size are the sheared bolts?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

More
5 years 9 months ago #17182 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic DLE 55 Sheared Prop Bolts

Phil Ford wrote: Started up the engine for the first in ages with new prop fitted last time out. After starting I noticed the spinner was "wobbling". Removed it to find two out of four bolts have sheared flush with the drive hub. I need to get these devils out and no, I don't have small stud extractors. Options?

Will replace all bolts with "genuine" hi-tensile bolts next time round. :(

Hi Phil

I assume the new prop you fitted last time out was a wooden one? With wood props it's always worth checking bolt tightness if the engine hasn't been run for a while, as the hub can compress over time, which will loosen the bolts, this is even more likely to happen with a new prop. Then if the bolts are loose, they will eventually shear!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #17183 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic DLE 55 Sheared Prop Bolts
Yes Jon :blush: :oops: Realised that when I was on my hands n knees in the grass, cussing. Have had the props become loose on the OS engines too but it's more obvious on them as they are just nuts. I should've rechecked the DLE bolts beforehand. :( Of course when I wound up the power metal shears given the chance.

Paying the price now with downtime.:(
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #17184 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic DLE 55 Sheared Prop Bolts

DavidTappin wrote: I have some extractors `Phil, don't know if they are small enough, what size are the sheared bolts?

They are 5mm David.

More
5 years 9 months ago #17189 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic DLE 55 Sheared Prop Bolts
OK Phil, I have a small enough extractor for that if you can't find anyone who lives a bit nearer. I'd be surprised if Peter W hasn't got one and you'll be with him tomorrow won't you? Kevin is another likely extractor owner a bit nearer to you.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.400 seconds