DLE55 Dying

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
1 year 1 month ago #26407 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic DLE55 Dying
After also having to make up a new choke rod it was time to fire it up. after quite a few flips to pull up fuel it started and runs.  Full throttle seems okay now but unable to tune it properly at home.  Idle is nice too.
I took this opportunity to reset the throttle linkage mechanism as there seemed to be of a bit of "dead area". In other words the servo movement did not accurately correspond with the throttle arm movement.

Now I can get on with checking over my other models ready for the Spring.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 months 2 days ago #26508 by Phil Ford
A short while ago during all these carb problems I went over to Kevins and we stripped the carb right out. 
The jets appeared to have corrosion/rust on them.  Only a little time ago I had these out and they were fine.  Blame E10.

Today after a carb rebuild on the CAP 232 a few months ago and waiting on fine tuning, I thought I might just take it outside on my grass and get it running.  Fire up, run a split second and backfire die.  Not back to fuel starvation again/blocked jets?  Anyway after checking the carb in situ I thought I might as well check the plug.  Corroded and the oily rust had virtually short circuited the electrodes.  Water in fuel    Ruddy E10.  Be glad when the last of it used up in the mower.  Gotta be VPower or BP Supreme next time round,
Attachments:

More
10 months 14 hours ago #26511 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic DLE55 Dying
I always use Stihl Ultra 2-stroke oil as it has lots of additives for corrosion resistance and anti-coking. It is very expensive at £20/liter but my pistons always look like new with no gum down the sides and my bearings seem to last well too. I also use a shot of Redex in the fuel every so often and my carbs seem to appreciate it.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
10 months 13 hours ago #26512 by Phil Ford
I may also change my oil brand later. Funny you mentioned about Redex because I was thinking the same thing.  I have nearly used up all my E10 and have "splashed out" on Shell VPower 99 (it is relatively cheap again now). It might not need it but maybe 10 ml of Redex in 4.5 ltrs might help too avoid this gunge stuff from BioFuel.

Recently GWR diesels have been breaking down since they started using a higher ratio of Biodiesel,  Clogging up the fuel filters and those filter are BIG.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds