ASP 120 4 str Not playing ball!

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #3711 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic ASP 120 4 str Not playing ball!
I have stripped the carb down. With a piece of tubing I can't blow through the fuel nipple with the main jet holder in place. It appears to me that when the holder is in place it is blocking off the hole from the fuel inlet nipple. Hence when I try to blow through the nipple my face nearly explodes! Take it back out again and my face deflates.. :lol:

I am sure on my other carbs there was a thick fibre washer rather than a micro thin plastic washer! i am going to try spacing the main holder with a washer. Can't lose anything by it. New carb is £35 plus P&P so don't want to go down that route................. Yet!
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #3712 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic ASP 120 4 str Not playing ball!
Phil-F wrote

I have stripped the carb down

Maybe ASP is short for Aspirations: dictionary definition "a hope or ambition of achieving something".

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #3713 by Phil Ford

DavidTappin wrote: Phil-F wrote

I have stripped the carb down

Maybe ASP is short for Aspirations: dictionary definition "a hope or ambition of achieving something".

Probably right David.

Carb refitted and engine on test bed. A few drops of fuel down exhaust (because the carb is upside down) Flick it over a bit to draw fuel in. Starts, runs for a few seconds and stops. Doesn't appear to be pulling fuel through the line. Yet if I blow down exhaust with the fuel line off fuel pours out (and getting wasted) Total time spent over last few days - 12 hours - so given up. I am gonna dig out the original two stroke, less hassle, went well although have to prime and start usually with model inverted.

I am considering sending it back to Just Engines, see what they say.

I don't think it's the make though - bought Chris73's 120 4str Asp which is in the Spitfire and no problems at all really.

More
9 years 2 months ago #3714 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic ASP 120 4 str Not playing ball!
- bought Chris73's 120 4str Asp which is in the Spitfire and no problems at all really.[/quote]

In that case the solution is simple, give me the engine and I will sell it back to you B)

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #3715 by Phil Ford

Chris73 wrote: - bought Chris73's 120 4str Asp which is in the Spitfire and no problems at all really.

In that case the solution is simple, give me the engine and I will sell it back to you B)

Okay. I'll give you what you paid for it after you fixed it - zilch! :lol:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #3735 by Phil Ford
A call to Just Engines solved it. The idle jet was wound right down (must have been a good party the night before down there in China) :(

So even with the throttle wide open the needle would not pull back far enough to let fuel in. I just new it had to be something simple, that's why I had not discovered it myself.... :lol:

Also. Andrew said that there are "no numbers for jet settings". Because there are so many variables around the world, humidity, altitude, temperature,etc , any setting given are starting points. The settings are what ever makes the engine run sweet! :)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds