• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #3699 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Bearing removal help required

DavidTappin wrote: Jon asked

Do any of you engineering types have any bright ideas or suitable tools for removal?

I have a three legged puller but I think you knew that so maybe you don't believe there is enough exposed land to get hold of.

Dad

No I didn't know you had a puller, but I don't know what it would get hold of, the only visible part of the outer surface of the bearing is a small area at the top which you can see in the picture taken from the top of the cylinder.

Dave Rogers wrote: Have you tried leaving the entire assembly in your oven for a good while then take it out and tap it a few times against work surface, likely to just pop out! I've done this before

First thing I did Dave, that's how I always get a bearing out, couldn't shift it at all :(
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by JonTappin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #3701 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Bearing removal help required
If the previous suggestion of reassembly of the bearing is not successful then i would turn an alloy bar with the last 5mm rounded to the profile of the balls. which just fits the existing outer shell bore. Drill the centre approx 6mm. then make 2 saw longditudinal saw cuts at 90 deg to each other. Then drive a taper (centre punch into the approx 6mm bore to expand the profile into the bearing - Now you have something locked into the shell.

If this explanation doesn't make sense - I'll send you a sketch.

File Attachment:

File Name: File0002.pdf
File Size:11 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by kevinross.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #3702 by
Replied by on topic Bearing removal help required
Hi Jon, Drop it round to me, I have made all sorts of tools for jobs like this, a quick is stick it in the deep freeze for a couple of hours then just heat the casing near the bearing for a few seconds and give it a good bang on a piece of wood, but feel free to drop it round, regards Frank

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 2 months ago #3705 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Bearing removal help required
Kevin

I understand the idea thanks, but don't have the facilties to make the tool.

FrankRobinson wrote: Hi Jon, Drop it round to me, I have made all sorts of tools for jobs like this, a quick is stick it in the deep freeze for a couple of hours then just heat the casing near the bearing for a few seconds and give it a good bang on a piece of wood, but feel free to drop it round, regards Frank

Thanks Frank, will give that a try, I have already tried the reverse, heating the crankcase and cooling the bearing but I will try this way. Otherwise I might be dropping round!

More
9 years 2 months ago #3820 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Bearing removal help required
Job Done

David
The following user(s) said Thank You: JonTappin

More
9 years 2 months ago #3825 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Bearing removal help required
This may be of interest, there used to be a toolmaker in Verwood who, as a sideline offered a service removing stubbern
studs, bearings etc from vintage motor cycle engines.
They used Spark Erosion machines to good effect & in Jon's case this would leave a ring of very thin metal which could then be easily prised out.

Colin.A

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds