P51 Conversion to DLE20RA

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 1 week ago #4290 by Phil Ford
P51 Conversion to DLE20RA was created by Phil Ford
I have just spent nearly a day connecting the wiring and switches and kill-switch. Now is the time to fire up my first foray into gas engines. By mid afternoon I was thinking maybe I should have stuck the 120 OS glow in it. Been flicking for eternity and beyond and still nothing. Definitely a spark. Checked. Dropped a few drops of gas down plug hole and it would kick.

Checking fuel line it does not seem to be pulling fuel. :( Disconnected the Quickfil valve and connected the carb line direct to tank. That did not do anything either. With the amount of flicking done I was worn out and losing the will to live. I was hoping to get his bird running before I am confined to home shortly.

Any ideas Guys?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 week ago #4291 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA
After Dave B's DLE carb experience, I would have it apart to check if it is assembled correctly. The diaphram pin wasn't engaged with the fork in the arm to open and close the needle valve. As you are not pumping fuel, you may have the same problem or maybe a blockage.

More
9 years 1 week ago #4293 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA
Just a thought but maybe it's that the carb is dry. On my os 22 I had to spin it up with a starter for the first start, something to do with diaphragm or reed valve being dry. It was fine hand starting thereafter.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 1 week ago #4294 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA

AlanF wrote: Just a thought but maybe it's that the carb is dry. On my os 22 I had to spin it up with a starter for the first start, something to do with diaphragm or reed valve being dry. It was fine hand starting thereafter.

Alan, I thought that too, so my answer to that was to blow down the breather pipe to pressure fuel into the carb. It didn't work.

It a pain having to remove the engine again but I will check carb as per Jon's suggestion.

I think I'll go for the easiest route first by spinning it up on the electric starter. if that does not work then its carb strip. :(

I'll keep you updated. Thanks. ;)

More
9 years 1 week ago #4296 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA
Certainly worth a try Phil. I seem to remember that there was a mod to solder up the hole in the butterfly as well. Might be worth a google on that as well.

More
9 years 1 week ago #4297 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic P51 Conversion to DLE20RA
I soldered the small hole closed on the choke plate on my DLE20 and it made starting much easier, but it should start without this mod it will just take longer to prime. Try the electric starter and it should fire up pretty quickly, if it doesn't i'm afraid it's like Jon said, strip the carb :(

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.268 seconds