Phase 5 by Chris Foss

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #15842 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss

4Pedalsfly wrote: Just one question - since it was designed with a built up wing - do the wing ribs give you the required wing section ?

The plan shows the root section and the tip section but does not specify what they are. Designed in 1978 (or earlier) I doubt that a computer was used to draw/create the sections and think that CF probably went for a couple of TLAR sections.
Info from others on the net suggested that E374 and a symmetrical NACA section worked well on the Phase 5. I printed E374 at the correct chord length and it was too fat by a couple of mm. So I modified it to be the same thickness as the section on the plan and it matches very well. I'm convinced that my section will be aerodynamically superior to the original since there is some odd reflex going on on the plan because of the way he has built the flaps and ailerons from solid sheet carved/sanded to a triangular taper. That does not necessarily mean that mine will fly better, just that it will at least have a true section.
At the tip I found that NACA 0010 was too thin and NACA 0011 too thick. So I modified the thickness and created NACA 0010.67.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #15845 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss
Hi Mike, CF has no wing brace on the P6 Wings which are pre-veneered. Just got to add balsa leading and trailing edges. They are butt jointed and then reinforced with 50mm glass fibre and resin. There does not appear to be any suggestion of any dihedral either in the instructions.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MikeSeale

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #15848 by MikeSeale

PhilF51 wrote: Hi Mike, CF has no wing brace on the P6 Wings which are pre-veneered.

As I thought. Thanks, Phil. I can proceed with the P5 as planned now.

PhilF51 wrote: There does not appear to be any suggestion of any dihedral either in the instructions.

It's common practice to join the wings inverted on a flat table so the top surface is flat resulting in a little dihedral built in because the tip aerofoil is thinner than the root.

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #15850 by MikeSeale
If the snow was clear I would have had a delivery of balsa today and could have made a start skinning those wings. Instead I took the opportunity to cut some more foam, this time the tailplane.
The plan calls for a solid 3/8 balsa tail sanded to an aerofoil shape. Chris Wild (also planning to build a Phase 5) raised a concern that it would be difficult to carve/sand two identical halves. Whilst not impossible, it would certainly be a time consuming affair trying to make them and since I had some time on my hands I decided to try a technique that I'd not used before...
Cutting sharply tapered foam wings is possible with just one template if you anchor one end of the hot wire. Not only does it work, but it reduces the need to make a second template for the tip and the end results are a lot better than I could possible have made using my gravity cutter.
Images show the anchor point, the layout, the bottom template and the top template.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• MikeSeale
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #15851 by MikeSeale
Here is the finished core, the root section, the tip section and the core placed over the plan
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
6 years 1 month ago #15852 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Phase 5 by Chris Foss

MikeSeale wrote: Chris Wild (also planning to build a Phase 5) raised a concern that it would be difficult to carve/sand two identical halves

Knowing Chris, I can imagine that has been keeping him awake at night with worry ;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.470 seconds