Aero Navigation Lights

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago #11573 by Phil Ford
Aero Navigation Lights was created by Phil Ford
As the weather seems to upset plans regarding flying and some of my ongoing jobs (albeit I did get the Long EZ started up on Sunday) I have not been wasting my time :unsure: but going back to a time decades ago when I indulged in electronics. Since then components have got microscopic, my eyesight failing, which makes it hard to identify bits but at least it is warm and dry in my study, continuous supplies of coffee ;) and the hours fly by!

What you see on the bench is a microprocessor which can be programmed in "C+". This little device is running a program which when your TX is switched on, the navigation lights on your plane come on. If you select gear down it is capable of sequencing the gear doors down followed by your gear and at the same time switches on landing lights.

I don't need a lot of the programs features so will edit it for my requirements. another small board will need to be made up with some small power MosFets to handle current which takes the signals from the processor.

Whether I'll achieve my goal is still uncertain but........... :lol:

Of course since my days of playing with electrons there is a whole new language sprung up to describe nearly everyfink...... ;)

PS: Paint matching is another pastime I am giving up! :lol:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #11579 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Aero Navigation Lights
Interesting Phil. I have dabbled with arduino's and other litlle micrto-controllers and have a fair knowledge of C++ if you get stuck. Good luck.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11604 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Aero Navigation Lights

JRI wrote: Interesting Phil. I have dabbled with arduino's and other litlle micrto-controllers and have a fair knowledge of C++ if you get stuck. Good luck.

Might just take you up on that John :) Me thinks I am a bit over the hill for all this malarky but it whiles away the hours. ;)

Okay, so far I have knocked up a test board (aka JIG) and programmed an AtMega328 for strobe, wing lamps and imitation revolving beacon (the latter needs a little more work to create the effect better) Using a 2 cell Lipo which keeps everything happy as would be onboard a model. The strobes are very slightly timed differently so to appear more scale/full size.

Next "play" will be to detect the pulse signal from flap switch (say 1400) to put landing lights on or by an used switch on the TX.

PS: I have put some landing lights on the Otter in advance..... :lol:

Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11642 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Aero Navigation Lights
After bu**ing around for what seemed like hours, gallons of coffee (and in the warm ;) ) with coding adjustments I am very happy with the outcome. Next job is to use a "Darlington Array" triggered by the microprocessor to switch the heavier loads of Leds and power chip landing lights. In the video I am using the prototyping board and then upload the code to the mini processor which gets installed in the plane.

Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 3 months ago #11679 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Aero Navigation Lights
Phil, Peter Willis needs a talking mushy meter in his Tx for when his model is

looking mushy in a turn

maybe not talking, perhaps just some sort of warning light or buzzing sound would do the trick, could you make that your next project please?

More
7 years 3 months ago #11680 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Aero Navigation Lights
What's the SI unit for mush?

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds