Electronics and RC Aero

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 1 month ago #19078 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Electronics and RC Aero
A few plans have progressed with play projects whilst the weather is not suitable for flying. John B has kindly made some vac-form lens for the Otter wing tips. Cannot trial fit them yet as the light modules that I had planned to use may create issues so I am waiting on a different type from Mr Postman. The Twin Otter's forward landing light is now fitted on the belly hatch just behind the front nose leg. It uses a "Xenon" effect lens which gives a narrow beam of 10 degs. I am thinking that on landing if I can see all the light it must be heading straight for me. :lol: The belly lamp lights up at same time as the wing lamps which have 60 deg beams. All the lights are powered by a 5.5 volt switch-mode VR (more efficient) from a separate 2 cell LiFe. See images below.

In the meantime I have illuminated my UAV camera ship. These lights are remotely and selectively turned on & off (stealth mode ;) ) Video below. AND yes it is on the guest bedroom bed but I did wipe the wheels off first..:silly:

Looking forward to get back flying someday....:(

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly, Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #19079 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Electronics and RC Aero
Looks good Phil. More detail on the wing tip strobes please?
I've just installed a second Braincube controller for the lights in the Hawk after blowing up the last controller.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #19081 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Electronics and RC Aero
For Dave and anyone else interested. :lol:

I have looked at Braincube and Unilight and they certainly target jet jockeys and the prices reflect that :blink: Both controllers at for example eight channel are in the same price range and I suppose not bad. However, the light modules and lamps are in my opinion a ridiculous price for what they are. No wonder a certain member easily spent £400 on lighting up his jet.

No way are any of my planes worth that much on lighting but I would like some decent effects hence my return to some electronics. I found a simpler way of achieving what I wanted using programmable light modules. Each one can be programmed to operate with a choice of effects. Strobe (double flash - pause), flashing fast, slow flash, beacon effect (slow up pulse and fade) and static. Each Power LED is equivalent to 3 watts, 200/300 lumens. They only need approx 5 volts - 6 volts hence my use of a 5 volt regulator set at 5.5 volts stable.

Each LED module detects if there is a PWM on their signal pin of more 1700 u/secs they will switch on. (equivalent to approx +55 percent ATV depending on TX) Without signal they just run on auto. (If they come on with out being physically turned on then you have lost RF signal or RX is not on.)

These LED modules are cheap! Unless you buy quite a few of them like me. They are made by an electronics company in Canterbury and are in reality were made for (I hate to say it) Drones to comply with regulations. Visible at night up to 3 miles and also model car racing. I created a signal distribution board so that each group of LEDs can be powered by a slave battery and also switched by any spare channels on the receiver. I have also used AVRs and LEDS from a Robotshop too.

The only advantage I can see with Unilight/Braincube (probably using same processor and circuitry) is they can change effects via only one RX channel. It just depends on the PWM signal on what gets switch when.

I could go on a bit more but getting bored now?

The wing tip module pictured is a Strobon V2 XL wing tip module. This has a white strobe and a static colour LED. the latter depends on which wing tip it is going on. port Red or Starboard Green
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright, Brian

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds