Goldeneye Photos

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11697 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Goldeneye Photos
Last one is the 3 ship take off shot, if you look on the right of the picture you can just see the scaffolding that they hung one of the cameras on.

One day the pilot closest to that side hit the scaffold, gave the camera man a fright :lol:

They built 6 of these Migs for this and had to rebuild 3 of them as well during the course of the filming. The third crash was because the pilot (not me :whistle: ) watched the wrong model, he was not invited back!

It was such a great thing to be part of and I got paid to do it, couldn't believe my luck!!
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by JonTappin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #11698 by
Replied by on topic Goldeneye Photos
Thanks Jon,

It sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm going to have to dig out the film to have another look at it.

Were the Migs built from kits, or were they scratch built for the production?

I'm sorry I ever doubted you ;)

Gromit

More
7 years 3 months ago #11699 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Goldeneye Photos

JonTappin wrote: In the film I don't think there was even 10 seconds of footage used from what we did! It gave me an understanding of why films cost so much to make

And today it would cost even more because they would use CGI and VFX instead of real models. When I look for Kathryn's name in the credits it amazes me that they list well over 50 employees from just one animation studio, with each one earning 30K plus.

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #11702 by JonTappin

Chris001 wrote: Thanks Jon,

It sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm going to have to dig out the film to have another look at it.

Were the Migs built from kits, or were they scratch built for the production?

I'm sorry I ever doubted you ;)

Gromit

Good find in the video link Chris. That captures the entire output of our shoot, the take off and overfly of the dish, the rest was done on wires or in a studio using the same models but shells without any gear in them. It is quite easy to see the difference.

The explosion of the 2 in flight was originally planned to be done with the models in flight, packed with explosives, but they ran out of time with the airfield booking. Very disappointing that we didn't get to do that one!

We tried to talk them into letting us fly one of the models into the set for that crash scene, but they said the result would be too unpredictable. Shame really as that shot looked very unrealistic in the end.

The model effects Director was a guy called Derek Meddings who made all of the Thunderbirds tv programmes, I think you can see that influence in the film effects.

Regarding the models, I think they bought a set of molds from somewhere then used them as a basis for the Migs but with lots of their own mods.

The Eurocopter that you see taking off in front of the satellite dish was also an RC model but was flown by one of the model builders as none of us were any good with helis!

More
7 years 3 months ago #11707 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Goldeneye Photos
YOU WERE IN A JAMES BOND FILM?!

• JonTappin
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #11708 by JonTappin
Yes, but I don't like to talk about it :dry:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.293 seconds