Super Sabre - Abingdon

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #12564 by Phil Ford
Super Sabre - Abingdon was created by Phil Ford
Classic Jet at Abingdon. Super Sabre crashes after making the first turn. Did it stall due to a too tight a turn or suggestions are maybe a flap stayed deployed. The video is not helpful as the aircraft was to far away to view flap position on the wing furthest away. Review the clip Peter Willis......

Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #12565 by Dave Rogers
Replied by Dave Rogers on topic Super Sabre - Abingdon
Is that not a super sabre? A shame none the less :(

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #12568 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Super Sabre - Abingdon
I stand corrected. I think it maybe the sight of some nice Hunters that has been embedded in my mind.:lol:

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #12569 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Super Sabre - Abingdon
A take off flap setting is the norm, but it seems the cause was due to a flap retraction problem causing the wing to stall. Great shame as it was an awesome model!!

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #12572 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Super Sabre - Abingdon
Word was one flap servo burnt out so didn't retract after take off, real shame, lovely model

• throttletothewall
More
7 years 2 weeks ago #12579 by throttletothewall
Replied by throttletothewall on topic Super Sabre - Abingdon
Phil,

Thanks for putting the video up.

You are right, too far away and contrasty to check the flap positions. Having looked at the video I think this was a failsafe activation,as the roll rate was not excessive (as it would been with asymmetric flap) and the engine appeared to have throttle down by the time it hit the ground or it would have been far more comprehensively destroyed and probably have burned as well if the engine was still on high thrust. I think the tightening of the turn just before impact was probably when the engine shut down under failsafe and the aircraft properly stalled. The engine failsafe usually takes a second or two to kick in after signal loss, where as the radio gear on control surfaces goes into whatever failsafe mode has been set almost instantly and I think it was set to Hold last position rather than return to neutral. I would be looking at Tx battery or Rx positioning/orientation in this sort of event, might even be old DSM2 gear which can struggle when a lot of other Txs are switched on, as can happen at an event such as this.

Can't prove any of this theory of course but if I was doing a formal investigation into such an incident that is where I would start the search for evidence.
I would be interested in other (turbine experienced) members opinions, as I said to Phil yesterday I would rather learn lessons from other peoples misfortunes than my own!

Peter

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds