Freewing EDF Group

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #20009 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Freewing EDF Group
I understand now how you managed to stretch it to 17 hours, didn't realise you were including 'mods'

Whether it's worth installing a rudder servo depends on how much you normally use your rudder in flight Brian. I tend to use mine a lot, plus I needed tail weight, so it seemed worth it for me. Here's a pic of my rudder install, in case you fancy doing it. If you remove the fan unit you can see a channel in the foam under it, it was reasonably easy to poke a wire from the fin to this point, then draw the cable through.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by JonTappin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #20011 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Freewing EDF Group
Brian, Glad to hear you have joined the fray.

How did you stretch it to an hour? This is me - connect the RX temporary to ESC to verify fan is going in right direction. Nope! So swap two leads round. (5 mins) Fit receiver and connect servo/throttle leads. (1 minute) Fit wing using screws about 10 minutes (as holes did not line up perfectly). Sip tea. (10 secs) Mix up some of my own 4 minute epoxy, dry fit tail end. Glue tail end bits. Sip tea for 5 minutes. Epoxy has gone off. Fit control horns (20mins). Switch on RC radio gear, check servos work, and right direction, adjust clevises for neutral control surfaces (15 mins). Create some rates/expo on X9D TX. 20 mins. Set up throttle range. Done! Take to field and master launch method - a bit longer.:lol:

A few days whilst fiddling and modding by some error I cannot fathom :whistle: I put a servo lead into the fan. Wait four days for replacement from NL. Now refitted I may add.

I used Nano Tech 2200 3 cells 35C. 200 gms weight. sits in middle of battery bay
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
4 years 9 months ago #20013 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Freewing EDF Group
Thanks for the pic of the rudder mod Jon. When I've got the first flight out of the way, if the MIG survives, I'll have a go at fitting a rudder servo.
Phil, thank you for such a comprehensive description of your workshop activities. Getting leads tangled in the fan is a nuisance. I did exactly the same with my Tony Nijhuis 42" Hawk. I ran it up to test the system, I'd forgotten to cinch the battery strap. Fortunately, the damage was a shredded balance lead with amazingly, no shorts or fire. Waited a long time for HK to produce a Dr Mad Thrust rotor, but in the meantime, I had the exciting task of regenerating the balance lead and plug. That's when I found that lead colours aren't common to all LiPo batteries. Thank goodness for a BangGood digital multimeter, a pencil and piece of paper, and starting from 0V on the black lead, adding leads in 3.7V increments. I think I aged a bit due to the anticipation of a big fat spark that would have put an end to all the effort. Fortunately the balance lead ended up OK, and after major surgery, the Hawk had its fan re-installed. Happy daze!

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #20294 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Freewing EDF Group
You may not be aware of this but a few weeks ago I ordered an upgrade EDF unit for my Sabre from MotionRC. When the package turned up just a day before the EDF Jet day, the box info was correct but the EDF inside was the standard version. :( Right! Back on to MotionRC and was surprised how quick they responded to my email with an apology. Said they would put it right. So, in the meantime I had to fit the standard version for the weekend in question.

Heard nothing else for ages until this afternoon, 18th July. The correct unit is now on it's way free of charge and P&P. :cheer: Problem is the Sabre was destroyed weeks ago. Does this mean I have to buy another? :lol:....
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
4 years 8 months ago #20296 by
Replied by on topic Freewing EDF Group
You could always give it to me Phil. I have a pristine Sabre!
Simon O

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 8 months ago #20297 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Freewing EDF Group
You could go for one of the other Freewing 64mm jobbies- f18 perhaps or donate it to a worthy cause ;) I'll second your comments on MotionRC customer support; they are very good.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds