Freewing EDF Group

More
4 years 9 months ago #19968 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Freewing EDF Group
Krikey!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #20006 by Brian
Someone told me that the Freewing 64mm edf models could be built in an hour. An hour is about my limit for concentration, so I thought I'd give it a go. I started to unwrap a MIG 15 last Wednesday. Its Wednesday today and I have just finished setting the control throws. The anticipated "One Hour" build has in fact taken me a little over seventeen hours to get the model built and ready to fly. I watched the Freewing MIG 15 video made by the amusing Petrincic brothers from Slovakia. They reckoned to use a 3s 2700mAh battery, the handbook says "3s 1600mAh". Unfortunately I have 3s 2200mAh batteries, which when installed as far back as possible, the CG is still at least 1/4" (six and a bit mm for those that want to stay under European domination) too far forward. Shall I just chuck it into the air with full up elevator and hope for the best?
Or should I wait for HK to deliver some 1600 batteries?

More
4 years 9 months ago #20007 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Freewing EDF Group
Hi Brian

17 hours is impressive, not sure how you managed that! I didn't record my build but know that I did it in an afternoon, so definately low single figures and that included installing a rudder snake outer.

Mine was nose heavy with a 2200, but flew fine just needed lots of down for inverted flight. Just add a bit of up trim for the first flight.

I have since installed a rudder servo in the fin (didn't use the pre installed snake in the end) which has got it back to where it should be, it is better, but like I said, is fine for circuit flying in the nose heavy position.

For test flight you will need lots of elevator deflection, but not much aileron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
4 years 9 months ago #20008 by Brian
Thanks for the advice Jon. I should explain that my "one hour" concentration span isn't quite right. Its a case of wandering off track and "improving" things as I go. I noticed that the tailpipe duct was covered in moulded pimples, I removed the fan unit and sanded the surface smooth. At the intake end, the moulding was a bit "off", the vertical part was poorly moulded, I thought it would cause unwanted drag and turbulence. I removed it, sanded the intake area smooth, then replaced the foam item with a more or less "airfoil section" piece of balsa. Of course, all the sanding needed to be repainted, silver intake and extremely "sooty" looking tailpipe. All in all, quite an enjoyable build. I like the idea of fitting a rudder. Is it worth the effort? Tomorrow, I hope to maiden the MIG. Watch this space for another exciting episode.

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #20009 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Freewing EDF Group
I understand now how you managed to stretch it to 17 hours, didn't realise you were including 'mods'

Whether it's worth installing a rudder servo depends on how much you normally use your rudder in flight Brian. I tend to use mine a lot, plus I needed tail weight, so it seemed worth it for me. Here's a pic of my rudder install, in case you fancy doing it. If you remove the fan unit you can see a channel in the foam under it, it was reasonably easy to poke a wire from the fin to this point, then draw the cable through.
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by JonTappin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #20011 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Freewing EDF Group
Brian, Glad to hear you have joined the fray.

How did you stretch it to an hour? This is me - connect the RX temporary to ESC to verify fan is going in right direction. Nope! So swap two leads round. (5 mins) Fit receiver and connect servo/throttle leads. (1 minute) Fit wing using screws about 10 minutes (as holes did not line up perfectly). Sip tea. (10 secs) Mix up some of my own 4 minute epoxy, dry fit tail end. Glue tail end bits. Sip tea for 5 minutes. Epoxy has gone off. Fit control horns (20mins). Switch on RC radio gear, check servos work, and right direction, adjust clevises for neutral control surfaces (15 mins). Create some rates/expo on X9D TX. 20 mins. Set up throttle range. Done! Take to field and master launch method - a bit longer.:lol:

A few days whilst fiddling and modding by some error I cannot fathom :whistle: I put a servo lead into the fan. Wait four days for replacement from NL. Now refitted I may add.

I used Nano Tech 2200 3 cells 35C. 200 gms weight. sits in middle of battery bay
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Phil Ford.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds