Back to Basics

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22295 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
If you are squeamish, don't look at the attached photo!
The second foam plug has now been glued for 24 hrs, I'll attack it tomorrow and with luck it won't fall apart.
I rescued the first wobbly attempt from the waste bin, trimmed the edge and perched it in place on the Kadet's fuselage.
It might look alright from a distance. Its a bit wobbly, perhaps I'll be able to fit a former or some sort of bracing.
Perhaps reviving the old fashioned art of "Papier Mache" might be the way to make cheap cowlings.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #22298 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Back to Basics
Brian - Rather than revive -" Paper Mache " - how about fabricating a cowl using
Balsa - you can the enjoy creating a pile of balsa shaving & dust !!
Pics of fabrication of " Mini - Roo " cowl attached.

Colin.
Attachments:
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by 4Pedalsfly.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22300 by Brian
Might give it a go Colin, papier mache is messy in a different way, at least balsa shavings don't stick to everything in sight. You'd be surprised just how far some PVA soaked tissue can go. Thanks for the encouragement.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #22302 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics

Brian wrote: at least balsa shavings don't stick to everything in sight.

No maybe but they appear all around the house for days afterwards. Poor Henry gets a lot of abuse. ;)
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22308 by Brian
The Kadet build has slowed a little, I had an interesting diversion with a 3D printed project, but that was only an hour or so, not doing anything, just waiting for the print to finish. I dodged out between the showers today and did a little work on the fuselage. Traditional builders will note that I've committed the cardinal sin of pinning the cross braces to the building board, no excuses, I was in a hurry. With all the cross braces glued up, I put a strip of balsa on the tail plane seating and another on the wing seating. Peering across the tops of the strips showed that the fuselage was not twisted. I hope it stays that way when its taken off the board! The reason for my haste in adding the cross braces is shown in the second photo.
Sourdough bread has nothing whatsoever to do with model aeroplane building, but just look at the photo, imagine a slice thickly spread with avocado, topped with crispy bacon, or buttered with real butter, not the spread easy from a tub stuff, and a couple of poached eggs, perhaps a bit of watercress for a garnish. Best of all is lightly toasted, buttered while still warm and topped with Eggs Benedict and a wafer thin slice of smoked salmon. The best thing about sourdough bread is not just the taste, or the texture, or the crunchy crust, its the fact that its full of holes, and you can fill the holes with anything you fancy.....YUM!
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #22311 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Back to Basics
And many thanks indeed Brian for diverting to the 3D printer

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds