Back to Basics

• Brian Jackson
  • Brian Jackson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
21 Mar 2020 18:03 #21834 by Brian Jackson
Back to Basics was created by Brian Jackson
Last Summer (5th/6th July, as I remember the Summer was a bit short) I sold most of my flyable models, apart from one or two ARTFs everything was scratch built. Now I have a pristine 3D printer which produces complicated parts that would take me ages to make. Unfortunately tinkering with a program on a computer and feeding the result into the printer is not a bit satisfying. Now I'm facing the daunting prospect of being locked up for several months for something I didn't do, so I've been trying to find something interesting to fill the days. 3D printing is just a matter of number juggling, the lonely flying field of the Phoenix flight sim soon becomes quite boring, reading a book means sitting still for hours at a time, computer games don't appeal at all. I can't play "Hunt the Toilet-Roll", firstly I'm not supposed to go outside, secondly there aren't any left to hunt. I thought of buying a kit and renewing my enthusiasm for traditional building. Unfortunately I couldn't find a single design that fired my interest, except one advertised by the Sussex Model Centre. That model, just like the elusive toilet roll, is out of stock. I could buy it from the American manufacturer, but by the time I'd paid the shipping and import duty, let alone the cost of disinfecting the parcel and its contents, the cost would be too much.
This afternoon I remembered the useful website called Outer Zone, an absolute mine of info on a great many designs. I found the plan for the model I'd thought of building, and downloaded it, as well as a very useful build manual that will probably be totally ignored until I run into a snag,
Unfortunately I found a different snag straight away, I wanted to "tile print" the plans, something I used to do when using Windows 7 as the operating system, the new and much "improved" Windows 10, although showing the same printer window details, has inhibited the tile print facility.
The last couple of hours have been spent in dusting off and firing up my old Win.7 computer. It seems to work alright, even tells the correct date and time, not bad for a four year layoff. If I can get it to play nicely with the printer, with luck I'll be having a jolly evening with cutting board, steel straight edge and balsa knife. With even more luck, tomorrow I should be able to tape together all the tiles to make the three sheet plan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colin Arnold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2020 18:14 #21836 by Phillip Ford
Replied by Phillip Ford on topic Back to Basics
Don't be disheartened with Phoenix! Have go at flying the float plane on Poole Park or the turbine Hawk at Hamworthy Park or flying the Beast inverted over Poole Park and see if you can get the fin to touch the water and make a wake. On landing though watch out for the council wheelie bins.:lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Jackson

More
21 Mar 2020 21:29 #21838 by Dave Bright
Replied by Dave Bright on topic Back to Basics
Look forward to reading the progress Brian

More
22 Mar 2020 07:10 #21839 by Kevin Ross
Replied by Kevin Ross on topic Back to Basics
PDF plan printing- My local office shop printd 1/4 scale plans for £17

• Brian Jackson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Mar 2020 09:18 #21840 by Brian Jackson
Replied by Brian Jackson on topic Back to Basics
Thanks Kevin, I've used a print shop in Ferndown in the past, good service but tend to be expensive. Fortunately I've managed to revive my old computer, and today I've printed the plans on twenty six sheets of A4 paper. With a bit of luck, and plugged in to my ancient iPod, listening to good stuff from A-Ha, Annie Lennox etc. I'll have the lot trimmed and taped up by tea-time.

More
22 Mar 2020 12:42 #21841 by Phillip Ford
Replied by Phillip Ford on topic Back to Basics
:whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Jackson

More
22 Mar 2020 23:40 #21842 by Colin Arnold
Replied by Colin Arnold on topic Back to Basics
Brian I admire your tenacity - should be an easy jigsaw with each piece being square.
Which model did you finally choose ?

Colin.

• Brian Jackson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
23 Mar 2020 09:57 #21843 by Brian Jackson
Thank you Colin, I think "Mean and Pennypinching" would be a better description. The model is one I've admired for a long time, and as I haven't flown much over the last couple of years, a slow flying trainer type with forgiving characteristics would get me back to model flying without any drama.
The model is a Sig Kadet, I can't remember when it was introduced, but it was long before I took up flying R/C models. The downloaded plan isn't dated, but I think its an early version of the model, however the plans have an additional sheet that shows details of a wing modification allowing ailerons to be fitted. This version of the model is no longer available, Sig produce the model as an ARTF called Kadet Senior. Some time ago I was thinking of building a Telemaster, I even got as far as buying the wood from Balsa Cabin, must've been a fit of something or other as I was currently building a Flair Hannibal, and I was trying to revive a huge Lysander. Fortunately I've had all the sheet etc in stock for a while, just hope the woodworm haven't had a go at it.
Attachments:

• Brian Jackson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 Mar 2020 09:26 #21856 by Brian Jackson
The print trimming took longer than I thought, but I'm in no hurry 'cos when this project ends I've only 3D printing to fall back on. Although I bought a Rubik's Cube years ago, that should help while away an hour or so. The box of craft knives and spare blades was bought when we were in Australia some years ago when £1 bought A$2.50, since then prices have equalled or exceeded those found at home. This little box cost A$8.0, I'll leave you to work out the cost in £. It has no country of origin marked on it, neither does it have a label. It couldn't have been made in China as the blades hold their edge far better than X-Actos, and the collets are all metal, not like the nasty frail plastic ones that look like the real thing but won't take any pressure.
Attachments:

• Brian Jackson
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Mar 2020 07:44 - 26 Mar 2020 07:46 #21874 by Brian Jackson
There's been a slight delay in the Sig Kadet program. A short while ago I managed to wreck our old gas oven, yesterday the gleaming replacement arrived and was deposited a safe distance at the end of the drive. Now I'm a retired engineer, and most of my working life was spent on a drawing board or in the prototype workshop, reading a drawing is no problem, but the language free illustrations in the IKEA handbook had me floored. An hour or so later, SWMBO asked politely if there was "a problem". I assured her there wasn't, I was only being extremely careful as we can't get help, well strictly speaking we could, but its a challenge (like....innit?).
I'll not bore you with the blow by blow installation. We did end up with a working oven by seven in the evening. I took a hot shower to ease the ache in muscles that I never knew I had. Then I discovered that my junk room cum office had been "aired" as it was such a nice day. The Kadet prints were in disarray caused by the late afternoon breeze. Today my first task is to solve the jigsaw, never done one this early in the day, I can't remember if we have any Sellotape. I wonder if going to the Post Office to get some rates as a valid reason for being out and about?
I should explain that I took out a gas oven, the replacement is electric, the connections were made through a 13A fused switchable spur box.( Best quality B+Q)
Last edit: 26 Mar 2020 07:46 by Brian Jackson.

Moderators: Mike SealeDave Bright
Time to create page: 0.488 seconds