Telemetry - talking radios

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11661 by JRI
Telemetry - talking radios was created by JRI
This is a new thread for discussing the pros and cons of telemetry, and who has done what and why?
I was inititially impressed by Jay's telemetry which gave him vocal feedback on airspeed and fuel capacity on his Jeti based system; so I decided to see what I could do to alleviate the problem of not always being sure when my models were over-the-hedge on landing approaches. I discovered that my Futaba T14SG Tx was capabable of voice telemetry if I fitted an external speaker to the earphone socket. I then purchased an R7018SB Rx and a Futaba FASSTest Telemetry GPS Sensor P-SBS-01G. I found with some experimentation that I can set up my Tx to give me an alarm when my model is inside a programmable radius from the Tx. I have also set the Tx up to give me vocal indication of speed (OTG at moment) and distance, but enabled only when the flaps are down (i.e when landing). It all works to plan on the ground, and I will be trying it out soon to see how it work in the field (on an older model first of course). Ps my telemetry also gives me warning of low Rx battery, altitude, and speed limits.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by JRI.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #11663 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Telemetry - talking radios
John - Very interesting, I look forward to other inputs, with increased use of such voice systems
is there any guidance on the use of ear pieces.
I will continue using my vintage Mark 1 eyeballs which are still serving me well.

Colin.A.

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #11666 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Telemetry - talking radios
Earpieces have the disadvantage that they mask other alerts and calls, whereas a speaker has the disdvantage that it can be distracting to other people in the box. Personally I think that telemetry is great for "mission crtitical" information but I really don't want to be be subjected to the entire altitude profile of someone elses glider with updates every 10 seconds just because it can!
I am sure some controversy will come with this thread - lets hear it :unsure:

• throttletothewall
More
7 years 3 months ago #11669 by throttletothewall
Replied by throttletothewall on topic Telemetry - talking radios
I have experimented with voice telemetry over several years now and 'as we all do' started with it telling me everything every 20 seconds or so. Soon switched it off! Even I got fed up with the constant 'Babble' which was often many seconds out of date as it joined the digital queue for voicing.

However, I find that different model types benefit from different messages. I often set an over 400' alarm (in models with telemetry) for models over 7kg when flying in areas that restrict height e.g. FIR or restricted airspace, not our field because it is NOTAMed as higher. The two main things I find really useful is regular voltage readouts for the motor LiPo on electric models, to prevent over discharging or that rapid power fade at the end and the Time to Go on countdown timer readout (usually every minute) when flying turbine models, which prevents eyes being taken away from flight observation to alleviate estimated fuel remaining anxiety!!!

The alarm function is good for things that are really difficult to judge accurately, which is not usually speed as we have all become quite adept at this, more by how the model 'feels'. However, height and distance can vary significantly with different model sizes. I am a trained Met Observer who has been judging height of cloud for most of my Air Traffic Control Career and found I was way out on model height, once I had something to measure it with, we fly a lot higher than we think!

More
7 years 3 months ago #11672 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Telemetry - talking radios

JRI wrote: ..........set up my Tx to give me an alarm when my model is inside a programmable radius from the Tx.

I'm going to move the pilot's box 10 meters closer to the hedge :-)

• throttletothewall
More
7 years 3 months ago #11673 by throttletothewall
Replied by throttletothewall on topic Telemetry - talking radios
Dave,

Knowing how most modelers have very fixed habits/rituals it would probably be easier to move the hedge 10 mtrs closer to the pilot box!

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.622 seconds