Telemetry - talking radios

• throttletothewall
More
7 years 3 months ago #11705 by throttletothewall
Replied by throttletothewall on topic Telemetry - talking radios
Mike,
I agree multiple similar voice alerts from different Txs whilst in the pilot box can be very annoying and more importantly distracting. However, I think the manufacturers have missed a trick on the audio output front. Attaching Headphones or Ear Buds with wire/plug creates a significant risk when combined with rotating props/blades, especially as an incident could result in the pilots head being pulled in towards a prop with potentially horrific results. If the manufacturers had thought it through from a Risk Assessment (rather than a techie) point of view they would have provided Bluetooth/wireless (compatible with the RC system in use) output so that cordless Ear Buds/Headphones could be used from the outset. Of course you can get Bluetooth Txs to plug into the output socket but this then creates potential compatibility issues and is less than robust for flying field use.

Peter W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11725 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Telemetry - talking radios
I came across this heated discussion (I was hoping for some new stock of the earlier powersafe 9010 series) after following a KLM promotion for the new Spektrum range of Powersafe T series receivers. I gave up after 39 pages....... :blink: Spektrum & H/H are really going downhill.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2...T-9030T-9320T/page32

Got a spare few hours? ;)
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
7 years 3 months ago #11726 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Telemetry - talking radios
No...I haven't got a few hours...so how about summarising why you think they are going downhill?

More
7 years 3 months ago #11727 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Telemetry - talking radios
I was not trying to create a debate or get into a deep discussion but In my humble opinion Spektrum and HH have been struggling for some time now. So, they bring out stuff for a "set price" but want bells n whistles to attract customers. Innovation? Receivers with built in stabilisation (ASX) was first out of the bag but many got confused over setting it up (independent gyro much easier). Then it was the talking and telemetry in TXs, then the new range of DX transmitters especially the 18 channel, software bugs and lack of support and excuses followed now by the T version receivers.

Personally I think it is a shame because the ideas and innovation are there. I would like a TX that tells me my power pack is getting low and time to come down but other than that need nothing else. That's my four penny worth. ;)

More
7 years 3 months ago #11728 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Telemetry - talking radios
Thanks, Phil. Not being a Spektrum user, I was not sure what I was supposed to infer from the link you posted...all gobbledegook to me.

As for innovation? Yes, they brought us 2.4G which is great, but others have taken their idea and improved upon it no end. I've been following the various Spektrum threads for years and watched their employees and fanboys argue that their system was flawless and that it was the end-user's ignorance that caused all the brown-outs and crashes.

...I don't think they are an innovative company any more...

And back on topic, others produced telemetry and voice alerts a long time before Spektrum and they took a while catching up. Their latest offerings appear to be very well produced and aimed at the masses. I would, and have, recommended the DX6 as the ideal starter radio because of its price, capabilities and simplicity of use. And once you've bought into the Spektrum brand it makes sense to stick with it unless you have a real need for something that they do not offer.

• JRI
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #11729 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic Telemetry - talking radios
Back on topic - I had a conversation with Jason Woods regarding Jeti telemetry and he was of the opinion that GPS in particular took some time to arrive at the loud speaker due to the time taken for sampling, verifying, and calculating speeds etc based on previous samples (he attained this knowledge from using his telemetry to try and prescribe a perfect loop with constant speed). This would reduce the gps usefulness for landing proximity alerts as a couple of seconds is a long way OTG especially with a turbine model (typically 150ft).
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by JRI.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds