Servo help

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1922 by
Servo help was created by
Hi all, quick question. Putting together an ARTF at the moment, looking at servo choice. Is there any logical reason in choosing a heavier, and physically bigger servo than a smaller alternative if they both produce nigh on the same torque ?

Corona make the following :-
Operating Speed: 0.15sec.60º/ 0.14sec.60º
Stall Torque: 4kg.cm / 4.6kg.cm
Size: 29X13X30mm
Weight: 22g.

They also make this one :-
Operating Speed: 0.15sec.60º/ 0.14sec.60º
Stall Torque: 4.4kg.cm / 5.0kg.cm
Size: 32.5 x 17 x 34.5mm
Weight: 32g

Seems a lot of extra weight and size for a minor increase in torque but the question is, am I missing something, should I be considering another aspect ? Is there advantages to bigger servos that I'm overlooking ?
Would appreciate any help ?

Many thanks

Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #1925 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Servo help
You don't say which models they are, could it be metal v plastic gearing or some extra internal gizmo?

This chap's review doesn't go overboard on quality with tests on a metal geared Corona unit

www.rcmodelreviews.com/ds538mg_review.shtml

More
9 years 11 months ago #1927 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Servo help
In the past, models were heavy and people would spend a lot of time or money trying to make them lighter. The general rule was that 'lighter flies better'. However, some modern designs are so light that they do not perform so well when the wind gets up and you could argue that 'heavier models fly better in stronger winds'

Regarding Corona...I think there are better manufacturers out there at the same price. This is based on others' reviews and my one experience of a 35MHz indoor receiver that was not fit for purpose.

Mike

• Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1933 by
Replied by on topic Servo help
I would fit the largest servo poss. IMO the larger gears have the advantage. Second Mike's comment re Corona.

Stuart

More
9 years 11 months ago #1934 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic Servo help
In this hobby it always pays to stick with reliable brand names when it comes to radio gear,that's not too say leading brands don't fail sometimes because they do,but you stand a far better chance with them. I am a great fan of Hitec servos been using them for years, but for someone starting out i would take a look at the Savox servo range,superb quality and price.

Pete B)

More
9 years 11 months ago #1935 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Servo help
My input - Standard Futaba analogue A3003 (plastic geared) and Spektrum (AR6000) I found reliable and long lasting for every day general sport flying But many of my newer models require standard and mini servos and I have favoured Hitec 50xxx and 70xxx digitals (I can program these servos -deadband width, direction, etc, etc) and more often than not metal gears or Karbonite. The former more noisier but strong gears. Most of my Hitec MG minis have just as much torque as their big brothers. Hitec have a vast range too!

Have not tried Savox yet

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.496 seconds