What's the best way to proceed

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #15416 by
Both wing halves exhibit almost identical damage from my crash on Sunday, which could have been a lot worse as I didn't have much control over it when it came down from 82m in in about 18 seconds.

But I don't know what the best thing to do is, I'm guessing squidging in a load of glue would glue it back together but at a significantly reduced strength. Any advice?

I'm wondering about removing the rib and making a new one.

And does anyone know if I should be buying a Silver steel or mild steel wing joiner to replace the one I bent! I don't know anything about metals so they may be the same thing! Surprisingly I can find 6mm & 8mm stainless steel, but no 7mm, the diameter I need.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15417 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic What's the best way to proceed
Not an expert myself but was surprised at steel joiner now that we have carbon rod or tubing.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15418 by JRI
Replied by JRI on topic What's the best way to proceed
It used to be a thing with gliders that the spar was hollow so that you could load it with lead shot as and when ballast was required. So an aero alluminium or carbon tube would easily suffice. I also dont think that a lot of load goes through the forward locating pegs unles you are doing seriously vicious bunts, so I personally would fill the leading edge void with a lump of balsa and then re-attach the pegs part of the formers using cyano.

More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #15419 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic What's the best way to proceed
If it was mine I would cut the sheeting back, fit a new root rib then scarf in some new sheeting.
As for the 7mm rod, your best bet is to straighten it as you won't be able to source new very easily, or replace with carbon.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by flyingpete.

More
6 years 3 months ago #15420 by John Bannister
Replied by John Bannister on topic What's the best way to proceed
Chris how long is the rod , could it be 1/4 inch I could probably find a piece or turn it down for you.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 3 months ago #15421 by
Replied by on topic What's the best way to proceed
Thanks for the offer John, but 7mm steel rod is readily available on ebay, in either silver or mild steel, but I don't know if there is a preference, I'd initially thought stainless steel would be best, but I cannot find 7mm stainless steel. Unless anyone would advise against it I'll go for the silver steel. I might get hold of some carbon fibre tube as well, just to see what that's like in use.

Pete, thanks, you confirm my original thought, I was just wondering if I was over thinking what was needed, I have that tendency ;)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds