Christmas Curare EP

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7250 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Christmas Curare EP
It's gone very quiet on the Forum, Everyone must be beavering away making things.... :whistle:

Virtually done now. Along with the cut-out in the cowl to help force air through the fuselage and over the ESC, I cut out an exhaust hole on the underside of the fuselage and fitted this nice little exit (it is a Habu 2 exit that was spare and just happened to be blue). ;) Spinner was modded to allow air over motor. (the manual recommends no spinner for EPs) but it would not look right. Ruin the sleek lines. Got the idea from my EFX racer. ;)

Replaced the UBEC which I suspect is 3 amp burst 5 for a Hobbywing 7.5 amp UBEC, 5 amp continuous. No issues now.

AUW = 3.25kgs Motive Power: Tried a 12 x 8 on 6 cell = 1409 watts, 61+ amps. not a problem for the 100 amp ESC, but the motor max is 60 amps apparently? But there again it is not as if you flying WOT all the time. Came down a bit using a 12 x 6 = 1105 watts, 50 amps. I think the latter is adequate for now. Anyway, I am using it as sport plane and it will be me on the sticks. :lol: Fast taxi down the road to check steering. All's OK. Tucked away nicely in the hangar till whenever.

With the forecast at present :( and after Christmas the forthcoming kitchen rebuild and living room decorate :ohmy: it could be two months before freedom again
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7252 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Christmas Curare EP
Phil
6" pitch won't be much good, this model needs a bit of speed, you need less diameter and more pitch 8-9" is what I would be looking at, obviously go down on diameter though.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7257 by Phil Ford

MikeSeale wrote: Whilst the Curare will fly well with a 11x7 prop, we have found whilst it sounds powerful, it actually just stirs the air and makes a lot of noise past about 3/4 throttle. Chris is running a 11x8 on his Wot4 and I'm using a 11x8.5 on the Blue Angel. These seem to load up the motor better and produce a much nicer result. You could also try a 12x6.5 or 12x8.

Jon, going by the above info, I have tried 11 x 7, 11 x 8. Also the 12 x 8, 12x6. Another option maybe is the 11x10 which I don't have?

Jon, C of G was at 1100 mm
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Phil Ford.

More
8 years 5 months ago #7258 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Christmas Curare EP
Cg should be fine there, maybe a touch nose heavy if anything, assuming you meant 110mm, if you really are at 1100mm, you are in trouble!!

When I was running 60 2 strokes in f3a in the early 90s, we were using lots of pitch, commonly 12 x 11 to 12 x 13, airspeed was good back then B)

More
8 years 5 months ago #7261 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Christmas Curare EP

PhilF51 wrote: AUW = 3.25kgs

Please can you weigh the fuselage, battery and wing separately? My Blue Angel weighs 3.326kg which comprises 1.608 for the fuselage, 0.663 for the battery and 1.055 for the wing. It would be interesting to see where the extra 100g comes from considering both have the same motor and (I think) the same battery capacity (4000mAh?)

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #7266 by Phil Ford
For Mike - Using the same digital kitchen scales (verified using a known weight) as used to weigh the Curare assembled.

Fuselage = 1555 gms, wing = 1030, 6 cell Turnigy 4000maH 30-40C = 645. Total weight adds up to 3.230 kgs

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds