Carb rebuild kits

More
5 years 1 month ago #19126 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Carb rebuild kits

Chris73 wrote: If it was me, I would buy it from just engines, you know what you are getting then

The risk of buying a cheap one from ebay is that you dont know if it will work properly, you could then think the problem is something else when it isnt

With respect, i would check they are genuine OEM parts - they could be sourcing from China !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #19127 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Carb rebuild kits

kevinross wrote: With respect, i would check they are genuine OEM parts - they could be sourcing from China !

Definitely agree there. Otherwise you could be going round in ever increasing circles and achieving nothing.

Without diverting the title thread

Alan, at least your OS starts on chicken stick. Apparently OS recommends electric starters as the ign does not kick in till it senses a 120 rpm. Well they maybe they can send me a starter that will turn my OS over cos my Align starter struggles too. :(
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #19128 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Carb rebuild kits
I've gone for an OEM kit from a lawnmower shop on ebay. I've got oem walbro parts from them before so I think they're trustworthy 12 quid delivered wasn't too bad..

The only time I've used a starter on the 22 was on a dry engine. A good glow style flick with a chicken stick usually gets it going.

I cant turn the 33 with a starter so i'ts always a hand start, again using a glow style flick.

With either engine, assuming it isn't dry, it's usually very easy to hand start it - keeping it running smoothly however... !!!!

EDIT
I'm guessing the ignition is looking for a pulse width below a certain value rather than a particular rpm so a sharp flick should do the trick.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by AlanF.

More
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #19129 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Carb rebuild kits
Maybe my flicks are not good flicks...:lol: Whatever I still get knackered just the same as if i had 50 press ups.

Before putting away in the Hangar I thought I would try starting Pennzoil at home. Now not even a kick! Took the plug out and checked for a spark. All good. Carb is either not pumping or something is blocking a jet. Strip down (when I get time) sounds the order of the month. Looks like a carb kit for me too just in case.

Got out Pepsi which has same 33GT engine and it started well and runs nice and it has been standing for 3 months. Maybe that's the way to go, don't use 'em.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

More
5 years 1 month ago #19136 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Carb rebuild kits

Phil Ford wrote: Maybe that's the way to go, don't use 'em.

Most of your models must start first time ;)

• AlanF
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 1 month ago #19164 by AlanF
Replied by AlanF on topic Carb rebuild kits
This is the kit I got - new parts on the left old on the right. The new metering needle is way bigger than the OS part so is unusable, every thing else looks ok.

So far I've noticed that the fuel screen had a fair amount of grit in it but also the flap valves are very distorted compared to the new part - one valve leaf was not laying flat in the carb. The metering lever seems to be set a bit low but I'm not going to change that just yet. The reed block shows no sign of distorted or badly seated valves.

Anyway, fingers crossed onwards and upwards
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.413 seconds