Durafly Vampire

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 10 months ago #24734 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Durafly Vampire
I should have posted the results of the fan change a long time ago, but with lots of interesting things going on, I forgot. The twelve blade fan makes a noise somewhere between a Hoover and a leaf blower at full chat, not really, its very very quiet. The Vampire used to struggle to get off grass, happy to hop off tarmac, but grass was a challenge. Not any more! At Cashmoor, with a slight crosswind, the Vampire was lined up diagonally on the runway, opening the tap produced an encouraging acceleration leading to a clean take off with no dramas at all. Bit of an anti-climax really, but in a nice way. In my opinion, if you have an original "RAF Trainer" Vampire, change over to a 12 blade fan, better take off performance from grass, and I found it nicer to fly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 10 months ago #24735 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Durafly Vampire
Hi Brian,
Which fan/motor combo have you used? How many cells are you running?
I have recently acquired a Vampire and the 5 blade sounds awful.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 10 months ago #24736 by Brian
Dave, its a 70mm Powerfun 4s from 4Max, lots of thrust, much nicer noise. Start saving your pennies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
2 years 10 months ago #24739 by Brian
I've left my previous mail in place Dave, its a reminder for me to not rely on my memory. While looking for something else entirely, I came upon the notes I made when sorting a power system for the Vampire. The 4 Max setup was first choice, but expensive. The unit I ended up using is a Changeson 70mm Dia. 12 blades from HobbyKing. All plastic housing, needs careful fitting. The system uses a Zippy Compact 4s battery, pulls a bit over 1700 Watts. I must've been keen at the time as I have notes for a Dr Mad Thrust too. 70mm Dia. 1900KV motor, 70A ESC. This needs a 6s battery. Looks as though I'd intended to use two Zippy compact 3s cells in series. This set up might have been "interesting", the unit gives 1.6Kg thrust. Perhaps "exciting" would have been a better description.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveBright

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds