DH Venom

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #10384 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic DH Venom
Maiden completed today by my good mate.

Pete and I had attempted maiden earlier in the week but a faulty fuel solenoid on the PST put a hold on it. A quick call to Wren saw a replacement valve turn up in time to try again today!

We were plagued again today by a blown glow plug, but offers came from all around of spares- Thanks to all, I think Simon's ended up in there in the end.

The Venom is weighty for her size but Pete is confident that we can get the right amount of lead in the nose (once all the sand and cement mix is out!!!! :unsure: ) and with it as far forwards as poss, it should negate the need for quite so much ballast.

Take off was exciting. She started 'wallowing' around just after takeoff which made for some breaths held but all powered through alright in the end as Jon lightly fought back.
Model flew well although a little nose heavy.
Landing too was eventful with one hell of a sink rate with full flap. She plopped in short of Franks strip.

Second trip out was better on takeoff. We'd removed some weight from the nose and Jon took off with take off flap. I had a good stint on the sticks and she felt very nice in the air - quite docile and performed very well with the PST.
Jon kindly landed her however, even coming in with more speed, she still dropped a wing as soon as Jon flared. This sheered the nose oleo (made of chocolate) Speed seemed good. Consensus is to try crow to keep the wing from stalling.

All in all, very happy!! Massive thanks to the master builder for his speedy and awesome work! Couldnt have got her in the air before 2025 without you Pete! Thanks Jon for taking the sticks for me....
Thanks JRI for taking these photos

Few tweaks to complete, but all being well, should be out again next weekend!

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by DaveBright.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #10385 by DaveBright
The exciting take off shot....
Attachments:

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 6 months ago #10386 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic DH Venom
My pleasure Dave ;)

More
7 years 6 months ago #10395 by DaveBright
The master builder has also discovered information that states the wing should have 2 degrees wash out.... the behaviour yesterday suggests it probably doesn't! Crow and stall strip on the L/E should cure it!

More
7 years 6 months ago #10396 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic DH Venom
That's interesting, I was looking at it yesterday and noticed that if anything the tip tanks looked angled up at the front slightly, if that's any sort of indicator.

I'm sure a bit of aileron reflex will sort it out, then stall strips at the wing root if necessary. I remember the BVM T33 I used to fly had both.

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 6 months ago #10397 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic DH Venom
I have a wing incidence gauge I will bring next Sat.When I built my Panther it stated on the plan you must set the wing tip drop tanks at 2 degree washout the same as the wing tip.I think with the venom the builder has not built in any washout and has not taken enough care when fitting the drop tanks.It is well documented on the forums that tip tanks can cause the wing tips to stall if not fitted correct.
As with my Hunter I built in 2 degree washout at the tips and the under wing tanks were set at zero incidence as per the wing root .

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds