DH Venom

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #10404 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic DH Venom
After a significant unplanned sink rate yesterday, one of the main oleos is quite bent. This together with the issue that these oleos clamp only into the retracts meant they've had to come out for inspection and a better securing method.

See photos - considering the oleos aren't solid at the point they clamp in, it's no surprise they bend easily. I plan to find some rod to fill out the top of the Oleo. I will then drill and tap the retract body and file a flat on the Oleo. Some of the ground speed lost yesterday at takeoff was down to the oleo rotation causing tow out/in giving a braking action.

Thoughts on my plan of attack?

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by DaveBright.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 6 months ago #10405 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic DH Venom
We need the engineers to chip in Dave,which we have many in the club B)

More
7 years 6 months ago #10406 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic DH Venom
Looking here too.... I've read of people snapping several of the MR (eurokit) nose oleos.
www.altecare.com/struts.htm

More
7 years 6 months ago #10407 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic DH Venom
[strike][/strike]

flyingpete wrote: We need the engineers to chip in Dave,which we have many in the club B)

I can arrange an appointment this place - but not Thursday & Friday -01425 620553
Attachments:

More
7 years 6 months ago #10408 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic DH Venom
Dave, Your plan might work but I fear that the leg will fracture at the bend when you try to straighten it. From picture '...300PNG it looks as if the leg is solid from the point where it's bent where there is an internal spacer which forms the pressure point for the top of the oleo spring. Is the yellow addition shown in picture ...229PNG a scale detail or a welded-on stiffener?

If I'm guessing right the easy fix would be cut off the top at the bend, machine out the spacer and replace it with a steel or brass component which fits into the clamp at the top and upon the bottom end of which the spring impinges possibly extending, at a smaller diameter, into the ID of the spring for extra support.

I'd be pleased to have a go at it If you can get the legs to me .

David

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds