DH Venom rebuild

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 5 months ago #10601 by flyingpete
DH Venom rebuild was created by flyingpete
Most models will give some sort of indication just before the stall.My Panther will start nodding it's nose but not the Venom.
On its first and second flight a couple of weeks ago she would tip stall as the model was being flared even at a fairly fast landing speeds.
I took the venom back to my workshop to check the wing tip incidence , and normally you should see about 2 degree washout but on the venom we had 6.3 degree wash in on the right tip and 3.4 degree wash in on the left tip.
After some discussion it was decided that we would put in 4 degree aileron up flex and I fitted stall strips to the root wing leading edge to make the wing root stall before the tip.
First flight yesterday looked like we had made an improvement but on the second flight Jon started the landing glide and you could see the venom was not happy dropping it's wings and Jon battling on the sticks trying to keep the wings level she dropped her port wing and went in.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 5 months ago #10602 by
Replied by on topic DH Venom rebuild
What a bummer. Dave not having a good year. Is it to be repaired?

Stuart

More
7 years 5 months ago #10603 by Chris73
Replied by Chris73 on topic DH Venom rebuild
Sorry to see that Dave, as the title is Venom rebuild, I assume super Pete will have it fixed before he goes to bed tonight?

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #10604 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic DH Venom rebuild
The impact with Franks runway resulted in total wipe out of the u/c oleos, sheared off the left wing and both booms sheared at the joints.
I can't understand how a basic school boy error was made in the build of the venom as the ribs have the washout tabs on the ribs built in so it is near impossible to get it wrong.
Anyway Dave has given me the task of rebuilding the venom correctly. Today i have ordered up all the balsa/ply/glue and fibre glass resin.
Iv made a start by stripping the bottom sheeting on the offending outer wing panels so i can jig them up on the bench with 2 degree washout and re sheet with 1/8 balsa. I will keep you entertained with text and pictures as we go
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by flyingpete.

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
7 years 5 months ago #10605 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic DH Venom rebuild

Chris73 wrote: Sorry to see that Dave, as the title is Venom rebuild, I assume super Pete will have it fixed before he goes to bed tonight?

If the model shop was open today Chris it might have been on the cards :(

More
7 years 5 months ago #10606 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic DH Venom rebuild
Looks like the skin came off pretty cleanly Pete, that's good news!

It was a sad end on Saturday and is still bothering me, it's never nice to damage someone else's model. All of the previous 3 landings had been uncomfortable and resulted in some kind of stall. We thought the aileron reflex and root stall strips had improved it, but I think on the last landing the stiff crosswind was the final straw. Having looked back at Phil F's video the nose wasn't even raised and the left wing dropped severly and it was too low to recover it.

We did one flight with Pete's Panther soon afterwards and landing that in the conditions was pretty uncomfortable and that model is a pussycat on landing.

I'm hindsight we probably should have just made a decision to sort the wing out, I think it was just an accident waiting to happen. The crash has now forced the wing repair and I'm sure once Pete has worked his magic it will be a nice flying model.

I think Dave B is still speaking to me as well :)

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds