Scratch Built Hannibal

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #17325 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Scratch Built Hannibal
I think the wing loading would be too light for PSS Phil. The lack of engine is due to the fact that I can't make up my mind whether to go glow or petrol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #17326 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Scratch Built Hannibal

Brian wrote: I think the wing loading would be too light for PSS Phil. The lack of engine is due to the fact that I can't make up my mind whether to go glow or petrol.

I have a metre of lead lately of Wimborne Minster church if you need ballast. :lol:

Um! Four stroke glow would sound nice but then there is oily mess. Petrol cheap to run, no mess but ignition to install plus battery and a decent muffler to squeeze in. Glad it is not my decision...;)
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Phil Ford.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #17332 by Brian
You shouldn't have told me about the lead Phil, I had to pass on your details to the Reverend Vanessa Herrick, no doubt you'll be getting a late night visit from some silent hooded individuals, they won't hurt you, they only want their roof back. The engine for the Hannibal will be either an OSFS 91SP or a converted-to-petrol Saito 1.25,. So far, checking the balance as the build progresses shows that the Saito with its attendant ignition unit and extra battery, will be no problem at all. The problem is that I've got to get down to fitting the ignition bits, and as this involves measuring angles and fitting a magnet and sensor, its not a task I look forward to with my limited workshop facility. The Hannibal has had its first coat of fuel proofer, just in case I go glow and because it gives a satin finish., much nicer than "shiny straight out of the box" like a Vietnamese ARTF. I bought two bottles of proofer, should have bought more, the surface area is huge and 100ml doesn't seem to go all that far.

More
5 years 9 months ago #17333 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Scratch Built Hannibal
Hi Brian
may i suggest you establish the weight you NEED to achieve the correct C of G. - then look to see what suits (cant abide carrying lead for the sake of it)

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #17334 by Brian
Thanks Kevin, so far I've kept all the servos in the designed places, and as the build/covering progresses, I've kept a close eye on the C of G. The structure of the Hannibal is considerably lighter than the original kit model, so getting the balance right without adding extra weight is no problem.. This model is a re-build after a disastrous landing which involved a stubborn tree. The original had a lot of sheet lead bolted to the front bulkhead, fortunately, this one doesn't need it. I'll probably end up with a Hannibal that is capable of thermal soaring, now there's a thought!

More
5 years 9 months ago #17335 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Scratch Built Hannibal

kevinross wrote: Hi Brian
may i suggest you establish the weight you NEED to achieve the correct C of G. - then look to see what suits (cant abide carrying lead for the sake of it)

When I suggested "lead" I was referring to the possibility of Brian launching it from a steep hillside. Saves all that engine fitting malarky.:lol:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds