Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #16043 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin
I was going to say it looked very similar to the Long Ships that I vaguely remember seeing landing, invading, visiting the beaches of the North Eastern coast of the Shetlands a little while ago. I didn't as I thought that I might be stating the obvious. ;)
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #16068 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin
Dry fitted the wing today. Should've checked earlier. The mounting strips are barely wide enough to allow decent contact with the fuselage. So, off with the original strips/rib caps and fitted wider ones. Planking is finished on the top half of the fuselage, seems that I'll have to assemble the bellcrank, pushrod and leadouts, glue the wing to the fuselage, then complete the planking.
Attachments:

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
6 years 1 month ago #16169 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Scratch Building a Mercury Marlin
Fitted the bell crank, leadouts and elevator pushrod. Hinged the elevator using old fashioned ribbon tape hinges. PVA is much easier to use than balsa cement for this job!
Next is to position and fix the fuel tank, solder up the engine mounting bolts to a strip of tin plate and fit to the front bulkhead. Then to finally fix the wing assembly to the fuselage, and complete the underside planking. I thought I might fit a drop off U/C as the model is designed to be hand launched, not an easy thing to do, especially as the model is so small.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds