Phil's Phase 6 Build

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17648 by Phil Ford
Phil's Phase 6 Build was created by Phil Ford
As it is raining I was wondering what to do. After learning a few things at the slope yesterday, I have ballasted the WildCat with 450 gms of lead. Fitted new lightweight fins to Zagi. An afternoon of Um! Bored!.

Brian I have opened the box! :ohmy: The Phase 6 box. Read the instructions, sort of. Check that I recognise the bits n pieces. Made a start. This is my first true build so bear with me. ;) I may make a few mods as I go along. I am hoping to finish it this side of Christmas maybe.

Going to glue up one side first as a template to use against the second to ensure identical sides.
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17650 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Nice to see a traditional build again. Big mug of coffee, chokky bix in the tin.............bliss!
Chris Foss' instructions tend to be short and sweet, a vital read though, helps avoid the "what the?" moment.
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Brian.

More
5 years 7 months ago #17654 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build

Phil Ford wrote: Going to glue up one side first as a template to use against the second to ensure identical sides.

Left and right will work better than identical!

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17655 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
:lol: You know what I mean Mike. ;) The datum lines have to line up or will have issues later with tail plane at the least, let alone the wing.

Brian, I read the instructions which can be a bit ambiguous. I have looked over the preformed bits and have created a plan of actions and sequence. I will concentrate of the fuselage for now. When I get to the wings I will follow Mike's idea of a hardwood spar inlaid in the foam.

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #17717 by Phil Ford
With slope soaring put off today, Sunday and after completing some website jobs, it was time to get some more work done. A bit fiddly curving longerons but done now. Got two sides ready to drop into the building jig for the next stage. Bending in fuselage sides to nose block and installing F1 and F2 to the rear face of the spruce uprights
Attachments:

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17718 by Phil Ford
And finally for today, fuselage in build jig to align the sides to the 3/8 balsa top ready for gluing. This is going to be a bit fiddly as you have to align former, wing plate and sides all at the same time whilst keeping the sides vertical. A few temporary custom spacers on the bottom (top in picture) will help enormously.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.454 seconds