Phil's Phase 6 Build

More
5 years 7 months ago #17984 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Sometimes the heat gun can be too aggressive...it makes the air expand too much and the covering balloons up instead of shrinking down. This is not such a problem on a built-up wing because there is usually somewhere for the air to go. The trouble with a foam wing is that foam is airtight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #17986 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
There's a tool for piercing tiny holes in sheet surfaces, it looks like a "prickly" roller. I think it comes from either Great Planes or TopFlite. I used to have one, worked a treat. Needs to be used gently though, especially on balsa skinned surfaces. Really does minimise bubbles in the covering.Wish I could remember who borrowed it! Good tip to use a sharp scalpel to ease out the bubbles, pinholes always show up.
Just remembered, its called a "Woodpecker"
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Brian.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil Ford

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 7 months ago #17987 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Thanks to all the replies. Well I have had another go at it. I "borrowed" a pin from her sewing box, pricked the l'l devils and then gently ran the iron over at 110C over the offending areas. Much improved. Although strangely enough it is most apparent only on the outer half of each wing. :huh: A short while later when the "tea lady" arrived she said, "how had it gone then replied to my quick answer, what's it matter, no-one is going to see it when it is the air". Philosophy!

• Phil Ford
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #18064 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
Finally decided to get back and do something on the Phase 6. Stripped off all the Oracover as it still was not laying nice n flat even up to my low level of expectations. So, today I had a go at glassing for the first time the top side of the wing. Not too bad although I may have a bit of extra sanding to do as I left a bit too much resin on in places. Next job will be to do the underside and this time I am going to use a mini foam roller to apply the resin and hopefully keep the resin excess to a minimum.
Funny how a recent bout of slope soaring spurs you on.

Damp air and fine drizzle here today so unable to get out and start up some engines so at least I have done something constructive today. ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Phil Ford.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
5 years 6 months ago #18065 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
When are you going to fix the twig, piece of balsa from Kevin's crashed model, and lots of 50mm glass tape?

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #18066 by John Bannister
Replied by John Bannister on topic Phil's Phase 6 Build
A easy solution to too much resin is to cover the wet fibre glass with toilet paper and use a roller to get it to absorb the excess resin then peal it off. There are several you tube video's that show this technique. Iv'e used it but try it on a bit of scrap first works with epoxy
See this post. RC Groups.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by John Bannister.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.538 seconds