Back to Basics

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 days ago #21834 by Brian
Back to Basics was created by Brian
Last Summer (5th/6th July, as I remember the Summer was a bit short) I sold most of my flyable models, apart from one or two ARTFs everything was scratch built. Now I have a pristine 3D printer which produces complicated parts that would take me ages to make. Unfortunately tinkering with a program on a computer and feeding the result into the printer is not a bit satisfying. Now I'm facing the daunting prospect of being locked up for several months for something I didn't do, so I've been trying to find something interesting to fill the days. 3D printing is just a matter of number juggling, the lonely flying field of the Phoenix flight sim soon becomes quite boring, reading a book means sitting still for hours at a time, computer games don't appeal at all. I can't play "Hunt the Toilet-Roll", firstly I'm not supposed to go outside, secondly there aren't any left to hunt. I thought of buying a kit and renewing my enthusiasm for traditional building. Unfortunately I couldn't find a single design that fired my interest, except one advertised by the Sussex Model Centre. That model, just like the elusive toilet roll, is out of stock. I could buy it from the American manufacturer, but by the time I'd paid the shipping and import duty, let alone the cost of disinfecting the parcel and its contents, the cost would be too much.
This afternoon I remembered the useful website called Outer Zone, an absolute mine of info on a great many designs. I found the plan for the model I'd thought of building, and downloaded it, as well as a very useful build manual that will probably be totally ignored until I run into a snag,
Unfortunately I found a different snag straight away, I wanted to "tile print" the plans, something I used to do when using Windows 7 as the operating system, the new and much "improved" Windows 10, although showing the same printer window details, has inhibited the tile print facility.
The last couple of hours have been spent in dusting off and firing up my old Win.7 computer. It seems to work alright, even tells the correct date and time, not bad for a four year layoff. If I can get it to play nicely with the printer, with luck I'll be having a jolly evening with cutting board, steel straight edge and balsa knife. With even more luck, tomorrow I should be able to tape together all the tiles to make the three sheet plan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 days ago #21836 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics
Don't be disheartened with Phoenix! Have go at flying the float plane on Poole Park or the turbine Hawk at Hamworthy Park or flying the Beast inverted over Poole Park and see if you can get the fin to touch the water and make a wake. On landing though watch out for the council wheelie bins.:lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

More
4 years 6 days ago #21838 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Back to Basics
Look forward to reading the progress Brian

More
4 years 6 days ago #21839 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Back to Basics
PDF plan printing- My local office shop printd 1/4 scale plans for £17

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
4 years 6 days ago #21840 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Thanks Kevin, I've used a print shop in Ferndown in the past, good service but tend to be expensive. Fortunately I've managed to revive my old computer, and today I've printed the plans on twenty six sheets of A4 paper. With a bit of luck, and plugged in to my ancient iPod, listening to good stuff from A-Ha, Annie Lennox etc. I'll have the lot trimmed and taped up by tea-time.

More
4 years 6 days ago #21841 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics
:whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.604 seconds