Back to Basics

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 10 months ago #22383 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Sounds as though we're using the same method Kevin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #22390 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics

Brian wrote: I've used clear tape in the past, but only on a glider. Is it still available? Haven't seen it for a while.

Yes! 3M Blenderm.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 10 months ago #22391 by Brian
Never used Blenderm Phil, the tape I used was called "Diamond Clear" from Sellotape, very sticky and didn't perish in the sun. Is Blenderm fuel proof though? Did I read somewhere that its to stick dressings onto skin?

More
3 years 10 months ago #22392 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics
Yes , it is used to stick dressings. I have used on loads of items, stays flexible and hangs on. Great for gliders. Have not used it on glow model's hinges though so would not know. It is pretty resilient to much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 10 months ago #22393 by Brian
The garden was looking pretty good this morning, so I had morning coffee under the umbrella and woke just in time for lunch. Almost perfect timing. Being nice and warm, the glue on the wing sheeting was firm enough to work on after lunch (which was followed by "A Bridge Too Far" and a big piece of chocolate). Preliminary sanding complete, then the dreaded moment ....slicing the aileron from the wing. It turned out to be a non-event. The ribs cut away easily, and accurately marking the cut lines during the wing build helped tremendously. Planing the oversize L.E. was fun and produced a satisfying heap of shavings for the bin. When it cools down this evening, it'll be time to whizz round with the vac, and sweep up all the odds and sods of balsa sheet etc. ready for a nice clean start on the right wing. Must get on with it quicky as I might forget how I did the left one.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 4Pedalsfly

More
3 years 10 months ago #22394 by MikeSeale
Replied by MikeSeale on topic Back to Basics
Because Blenderm is designed for sticking to skin, it is also designed not to be too sticky. For that reason I would not use it on a 'proper' model. It's great for hinges on indoor models where it sticks to Depron really well.

Sellotape Crystal Clear is their replacement for Diamond tape. You should be able to find it in most big supermarkets as well as WHSmith. It is UV resistant like Diamond tape but it is a little thinner. Tesa make a UV resistant tape that is as thick as Diamond tape used to be, but finding Tesa tape is not so easy.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.564 seconds