Back to Basics

More
3 years 11 months ago #22435 by DaveBright
Replied by DaveBright on topic Back to Basics
.....and good build progress Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #22437 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Back to Basics

Brian wrote: Well, I thought it might be fun to give the "Curare Gang" a bit of competition with the model that won the National Championships in 1968. It'll give you something to do looking up the name of the designer/builder/pilot and the name of the model.

Mike Birch won the Nats in 1968 I think, so I'm guessing Moonglow, I think the Capricorn was later?

Very nice work on the Kadet by the way!
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by JonTappin.

• Brian
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
3 years 11 months ago #22439 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Back to Basics
Thanks Jon, the model is indeed Mike Birch's Moonglow VI, winner of the 1968 Nationals. Still available as a laser cut kit from Belair. Before I make a serious start on the build, I'm considering retracts and whether to go electric or try to get a decent second hand .61 two stroke. Weston offer an engine for the Curare, but its a bit pricey, so far the offerings on the BMFA site aren't up to much, neither is eBay, so perhaps a PO-3547-700 from 4Max will be the way to go.It was surprising to read that the original radio gear weighed as much as 20 oz. Perhaps if built lightly, the model might perform on a smaller engine, especially as the power/weight ratio of a modern two stroke is likely to be better than 1968 engines. However, I must finish the Kadet first.

More
3 years 11 months ago #22440 by JonTappin
Replied by JonTappin on topic Back to Basics
Hi Brian

Would this be any good to you? Merco 61, suitably retro!

I have no use for it, it's yours if you want it. Still turns over OK and has reasonable compression (for a Merco anyway!)

Not looking for any money, just be good to see it being used again.
Attachments:

More
3 years 11 months ago #22442 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Back to Basics

DaveBright wrote:

Phil Ford wrote: Yes , it is used to stick dressings. I have used on loads of items, stays flexible and hangs on. Great for gliders. Have not used it on glow model's hinges though so would not know. It is pretty resilient to much.

Didn't have it on the ailerons of your EFX racer did you Phil?

No. My error by missing that. Although the mega G forces to the EFX on that fateful day may have contributed. :lol: Although something that won't apply to Brian's build if he flies it.....;)

More
3 years 11 months ago #22444 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Back to Basics

JonTappin wrote: Hi Brian

Would this be any good to you? Merco 61, suitably retro!

I have no use for it, it's yours if you want it. Still turns over OK and has reasonable compression (for a Merco anyway!)

Not looking for any money, just be good to see it being used again.

i'll match Jon's offer with this one. No wear on the mechanics but needs new bearings - So its a BOGOF buy one for nowt get another free.
Attachments:

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds