DH VAMPIRE

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8331 by flyingpete
Replied by flyingpete on topic DH VAMPIRE
Finished off the servo hatches and spent the rest of today soldering up the servo extension leads. Before i finally pack the vampire away for the move to my new bungalow i would like to try and get all the servos plumbed in ready for the pushrods.
I have just placed an order for all the remaining stuff i need to finish the vampire, so as soon as im in my new workshop i can finish the model and hand it over to David so he can do his bit and then hand it over to Jon "Iceman" Tappin for the test flight programme B)
This year's EDF/Jet day should be well attended with all the scale jets we have in the club now and if i get my finger out my hunter might be ready aswell ;)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by flyingpete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidTappin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #8332 by flyingpete

AlanF wrote: That's a lot of waggly bits on the wing Pete. I'm going to show my ignorance and ask: what's the difference between a flap and a speed flap?

Alan
Speed flap is another term for an air brake. They are going be very effective as when they are deployed they will be 90 degrees to the top and bottom of the wing and under immense load.
Deployment at speed will be suicidal as the designer of the model found out as his 25% vampire went in after one broke up and he was too slow retracting the other causing severe roll and was too much to correct.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by flyingpete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlanF

More
8 years 1 month ago #8336 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic DH VAMPIRE
Pete reported Kerry Sterner's problem with his 25% whistling wheelbarrow when one airbrake broke away

he was too slow retracting the other causing severe roll and was too much to correct.

As I understand it only one airbrake caused huge yaw which couldn't be compensated with rudder leading to the model spinning in.

A sensible safety measure will be to ensure that the airbrakes cannot be fully deployed at more than half throttle. Also Pete has changed the design to beef up the airbrake hinges, just in case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlanF

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 1 month ago #8349 by flyingpete
The pushrod order arrived yesterday, anther job out the way
Attachments:

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 1 week ago #8775 by flyingpete
Now that i have moved and built my new workshop, it's back to business!! Hear are a few pics i have taken today. My favourite pic is the one with everything deployed, can't wait to see that at cashmoor on a low slow pass B)

• flyingpete
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
More
8 years 1 week ago #8776 by flyingpete
In picture two you will see the red paint i have applied to the pipe tunnel. This is to stop the balsa catching fire fro the heat from the jet pipe. This paint will withstand temperatures of 700 + degrees.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.339 seconds