Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

More
7 years 2 weeks ago - 7 years 2 weeks ago #12743 by Phil Ford
Replied by Phil Ford on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS

AlanF wrote: I've had a thought Phil, you could let Chris keep the dust of your Curare B)

I was considering offering use of my Curare as I do have empathy for Gromit but as long as he recovers the film on it nicely and refuses to fly it across the Sun. Then I thought maybe not seeing as he has a less than "eye candy" Mythos as back-up plane :whistle:
Last edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by Phil Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 weeks ago #12745 by JRI
Very sad to hear of the loss of the 'Atlas' - a lovely model.
Tip stalls seem to be less of a feature of sports models than it used to be, but it is still waiting to happen. I tend to avoid low air speeds and always try to keep a nose-down attitude on landing turns for fear of tip-stalls and I am also quite conservative on CofG for the same reason.
My advice is to get yourself a cheap hooler aerobatic model and thrash it around and you may find that getting yourself into and out of trouble becomes a more instinctive activity.

More
7 years 1 week ago #12750 by kevinross
Replied by kevinross on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Thats a B _ gg _ _ but the mental cure is your next build thread !

More
7 years 1 week ago #12752 by 4Pedalsfly
Replied by 4Pedalsfly on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Chris- Sorry to read the demise of your lovely Atlas,
See the thread on my rebuild of my Diamante , it is time consuming but very satisfying.
Colin

More
7 years 1 week ago #12762 by DavidTappin
Replied by DavidTappin on topic Winter build project: Wolfgang Matt’s ATLAS
Chris wrote

I won't be building another Atlas, not straight away anyway

Chris, that Atlas was a masterpiece, please don't rob us all of the opportunity to admire another one, we've all been there, some of us many times, and I write as an aeromodeller of nearly 70 years experience so I've had more time than most to make mistakes and sometimes the ego is even more badly damaged than the model.
Don't dwell on it too much, you know the advice usually given to the full size pilot after an unfortunate arrival - get straight into another 'plane and go fly.

One of Australia's most famous aviators, Charles Kingsley-Smith, said "An aviator's life is full of ups and downs, but the only hard thing about it is the ground".

I think what he was saying is that the enjoyment always exceeds the disappointment, there is plenty of enjoyment available.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 1 week ago #12766 by
Thanks David,

The reason I said I would not build another Atlas, or at least not immediately, is that having built one, there is the possibility the second might not tun out as good, and there are also other classic pattern planes that might be interesting to build. I've not really thought about what to build, and don't anticipate rushing into anything straight way.

Moderators: DaveBright
Time to create page: 0.336 seconds