I first bought the model 2nd hand back in March 2018, it had been repaired following a heavy landing and although had been structurally repaired well, the paint was far from perfect and some small cracks had been covered with stickers. In addition I wasn’t that keen on the pink colour scheme (I have always been adamant it was purple, but now it has been repainted I’m prepared to admit it was pink!) so I had always had it in the back of my mind to repaint it one day.
Later on in October of the same year, I managed to damage it myself over running the landing into our then brand new earth bank! Although I repainted it and was very happy with it, over time it became apparent that the aerosol lacquer coat I had used had not hardened properly, so it gradually started to deteriorate.
So when our first lockdown came along being unable to fly, it seemed the ideal time to bite the bullet and start stripping the paint. In hindsight had I known then how much effort and how many hours it would take me to do it, I might not have bothered, but once I had started there was no going back! It took me approximately 2 months on and off to get it done, I tried several methods of doing it, solvents had only limited effect but still made a huge mess, in the end I did it by roughing it up with coarse sandpaper then scraping off with a sharp blade and finally wet and dry to finish.